4th July weekend smoke started

Started by GusRobin, July 02, 2010, 05:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

First part of the weekend is a Brisket. Slathered with CT and Jan's rub and in with 6 hours of oak. Put it on at 4:00 pm on the second from the top rack with the PID set at 225F. The rack below I put two smaller pans with water and beer to catch some drippings.  (Never tried that before so see how it goes.) I am also thinking of trying a braise tomorrow. Never did that before so any suggestions are welcome. (This is one of 4 briskets I got at Target at $0.99 lb so I figure they are good ones to experiment with. unfortunately it was limited qty so they ran out before I went back to get more.)

Brisket slathered and ready to go

Second part is a corned beef brisket that I am using to make pastrami. Always made it starting with curing a flat myself. Since I was making the brisket, I thought I would try a pastrami from corned beef.
Here it is soaking to get some of the saltiness out.

Rubbed with Jan's rub, wrapped and in the fridge until tomorrow morning.

Tomorrow, in addition to the pastrami, I am making 2 racks of baby backs, and 2 racks of beef ribs. Plus corn on the cob and asparagus.
Sunday will just be beer, hot dogs and burgers on the grill.

More updates to follow tomorrow. Hope everyone has a fun and safe 4th.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

DTAggie

Still cannot beleive that price you got.

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

ArnieM

At 99 cents a pound I'd go out and buy another freezer.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

SnellySmokesEm

DAng - my jaw is on the floor.... .99 per pound....  WOW  Looks like you got a great start.  Cant wait to see more pics.
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

GusRobin

Main reason was I was too picky. Max limit was 6, only took four because they had 6 others out and they were very fatty. Asked the guy if they had any more. He said no but they have a shipment of meat coming in the morning. When I went back the next day they didn't get any more and didn't have any left. If I thought about it, even if they were 50% fat that would still only be an equivalent of $1.98 a pound. Oh well, lesson learned.