Newbie - How hot does your smoker get?

Started by curioffl, July 09, 2010, 08:17:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

curioffl

I got my Bradley Original this week and it looks like with the slider all the way to the right (and nothing in there) it gets to about 275 (windless 87 degree day).  I am not complaining, I just wonder since the thermometer goes to 400 if that is the normal highest (in case it's defective etc)?

Thanks.

Tenpoint5

That sounds about right but most of your cooks will be in the 205-230º range. BTW the speedometer in your car goes to 160. Will it go that fast? Do you drive that fast? Just kidding welcome aboard!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

That sounds about right..    I never take mine over 250°. (for poultry)   It lives at 225° most of the time.

curioffl

Thanks.  (Just checking really, I chose the Bradley because I wanted to do a fair amount of [well controlled] low-temperature smoking [ala Michael Ruhlman's Charcuterie] but wanted to be sure.)

You mean my 2001 Ford Focus won't go 160 if I held down the gas?... I've never thought to do it but I guess I always thought I could if I wanted.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: curioffl on July 09, 2010, 08:29:43 AM
     You mean my 2001 Ford Focus won't go 160 if I held down the gas?... I've never thought to do it but I guess I always thought I could if I wanted.
Your gonna fit in just fine around here!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

beefmann

GusRobin

Yes your Focus could reach 160 --on a 14 mile downhill slope ;D ;D ;D ;D
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

DTAggie

your doing good if you get 275*  Several folks on here complain tehy cannot get anywhere near that when empty.

DarqMan

I don't think mine has ever been up to 275.  I'm usually smoking between 200-225.
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

ArnieM

I don't think my OBS ever got over 250 or so.  But as said, you'll be smoking in the 220 range or so.  If you need more heat you have a range in the kitchen  :D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.