4th July smoke started -new pics

Started by GusRobin, July 03, 2010, 05:18:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

Changed the water and tucked the brisket in for the night. Woke up at 6 this morning and the maverick said the IT was 188#. That was disappointing since I was going to braise when I woke up. Based on the knowledge I have acquired from the learned members of the forum, that seemed awful early for a 13# brisket. I did the fork test and it seemed tough. So It was either under cooked or overcooked. Tried taking the temp with the thermapen and it said 155# which made more sense. So I put the brisket in a pan, added one of the bowls of drippings, some beef broth, and foiled it up. Added the maverick probe which now read 156#. which is more like it. Must of had the probe in a fatty hot spot before.
Pictures:
Brisket out and in the pan ready to foil. Added back to the smoker at 6:30. Bottom corner was a quality control test.

The two bowls of drippings. One added to the braise and one in the fridge to become au zous (or however you spell it -too early to worry about it.)

Also have the pastrami made from corned beef. Took it out of the fridge and threw it in at 6:30 and added 2 hours of oak.

Don't know how this will all turn out but I sure am having fun . As I said before, never braised before and never made pastrami from corned beef, but the journey is the best part of getting there. Now I need to go eat breakfast. The sooner I finish the sooner I can open the beer. Never drink on an empty stomach or alone (good thing God is always with me it takes care of the alone part)
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

squirtthecat

That's the spirit!   Look good so far...

Tenpoint5

Gee all I get to look forward to is a company picnic today. I'll trade with you
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Got mine seasoned and ready to go sometime today. Wife has to work tomorrow so i'm on my own  ;D

Montreal Salsa chicken.

GusRobin

To paraphrase Robert Duvall in Apocalypse Now -- "I love the smell of a Bradley smoke in the morning."

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

NePaSmoKer

My Pre 4th Cookout for family today.

Moo'Oinks-N-Meatballs

225* with oak to get bacon done, then into warm crockpot with Teriyaki glaze.

GusRobin

brisket reached 190F at about 10:00. Pulled it and its in the cooler. So that was about 18hrs which seems more normal. Also the meat was like butter when I put the probe in.
Pastrami is on now and after 4 hrs its at 144* IT. So a couple hrs to go.
Time to get the ribs out and rubbed and ready to be on deck.

GusRobin

Brisket pulled from cooler. We'll be eating that tomorrow so I separated the flat and point, and saved the juice from the cook to use to warm it up.

Brisket separated and into the fridge

Pastrami pulled form the cooler and sliced. Depending what people eat tomorrow for snacks etc, I may vac seal and freeze some if I have any left.

2 Racks of beef ribs and 2 racks of baby backs CT'd, rubbed and into the fridge.

Ribs out of the fridge and on the racks ready to go in.

Everyone in the smoker with 2 2/3 hrs hickory smoke

Corn and asparagus to be added later

GusRobin

Took ribs out and carved them up. Daughter's dog in the background waiting for someone to drop something.

End of a long day - tomorrow will have the pastrami sammies for lunch, the brisket reheated for dinner, and off to see some fireworks.
Hope y'all are having as good a time as I am this 4th.

KyNola

I'm a HUGE fan of pastrami.  Your's look GREAT!

Congrats.

GusRobin

This was the first time I made it starting with a corned beef rather than curing a brisket. I usually slice it, wrap it, and put it in the fridge overnight. But I did sneak a couple of pieces. I was pleasantly surprised. It is going to be a close decision if I bother to cure my own in the future. I think the deciding factor may be size. I couldn't find very big corned beef at the market, while the flats usually run 5-8 lbs.