Smoked Beer Can Chicken

Started by SnellySmokesEm, July 06, 2010, 06:11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SnellySmokesEm

I smoked a whole chicken Sunday for the MIL. I rubbed it with Jan's rub (man the recipe makes a bunch, I feel like I have been using it for weeks, but man is it good!)  I smoked with Apple for 3 hours @250 and then put in the oven @350 to crisp up the skin and bring the IT to 180.

The chicken was very good.  Maybe a tad dry.  I am guessing I could have taken the IT to 170 and it would have been better.
I also threw together a quick cucumber salad:  Cucumber, onions, carrots, fresh parsley, Oil and Red Wine Vinegar and Italian dressing
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

Tenpoint5

Looks good Snelly gotta keep the MIL happy!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

Nice!   I have that same beer can holder thingie.  3 actually.   

I tried one directly on the can once.
Won't do that again. (flopped over, spilled, flooded the drip pan in my Weber gasser..)

I take my beer butted birds to 165° in the breast, and call it good after they rest a bit.

oakville smoker

Well done
This is one of the best way to cook chicken in my opinion
I think I am going to try one in my Bubba this weekend
Couple hours smoke in the DBS, finish in Bubba
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

SnellySmokesEm

Quote from: squirtthecat on July 06, 2010, 06:55:36 AM

Nice!   I have that same beer can holder thingie.  3 actually.   

I tried one directly on the can once.
Won't do that again. (flopped over, spilled, flooded the drip pan in my Weber gasser..)

I take my beer butted birds to 165° in the breast, and call it good after they rest a bit.

I usually like my chicken around 165-170 but the MIL is very picky about her meat so I wanted to go "by the book" on this one.  ???  It still was very good and it is alson my favorite way to cook a whole chicken.... well except for chicken soup.   ;D ;D ;D
BBQ Evangelist

StickyDan

Looks great.  Was that cooked on a Bradley?  I didn't think there would be enough heat there to make the beer steam.  Is there a trick to it?
I attempted Beer Butt Chicken once about 4 years ago with miserable results.  Never tried it again but you have peaked my interest.

SnellySmokesEm

Sticky-
I have a masterbuilt elec. smoker that pegs out at about 170
BBQ Evangelist