Gold Wing or Road King?

Started by Kummok, July 06, 2010, 09:23:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kummok

I've ridden motorcycles since around '64 but never ridden the big road schooners...time to change that. I want to go see LOTS of places and would choose more of an expedition bike if I was riding single but I want my wife to go and she wants to ride too so I'm looking for more of a 2 wheeled LazyBoy for comfort. I've pretty much got it narrowed down to either a Honda Gold Wing or HD Road King but having difficulty making the final selection.

If I've learned nothing else in life, I've learned that there's great benefit in hearing others experiences. That said, I'd appreciate hearing from those that would share their experience with ride/reliability of either bike (Haven't entirely written off the Yamaha Stratoliner but I know absolutely nothing about its history nor anyone who rides one?!?!) Don't want to start a Wing v King battle thread but would really appreciate hearing your experience with either......

KevinG

I never owned a Gold Wing, but have ridden Honda most of my life. They are good dependable bikes. My favorite was a 754. Currently I'm driving a 1988 600 VLX, the  bike wont die. I'm going to retire it regardless after my truck is paid off only because I can't get anyone to service it for me anymore. It failed emissions and has carbs, so nobody wants to touch it. Fortunately for me I was able to figure it out without a sniffer - just a bad plug. I am looking seriously at Harley though too, just want to shake things up a little. Probably a Fat Boy, but we'll see how the budget is when the truck is paid off.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

aces-n-eights

Hey Kummok!  I think if you're looking for a "Two-wheeled Lazy-Boy" you should probably go with the Gold Wing.  IMO it is much more comfortable for the passenger than the Road King.  The Harley UltraGlide is closer to the Wing in the passenger comfort department.

The last Wing i rode was an early 2000's - what a nice bike!  Very smooth, powerful, lots of gizmos.  But for some reason it didn't "light my fire" like a Harley.  I can't explain it.  The Honda is a fantastic machine, but the Harley has more personality.

When you get one, come on up!  We'd love to ride with you.  I'm on a Harley Wide Glide and my wife rides a Harley Tour Sport.
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Gizmo

Can't help you out with the Harley as I have never had the privilage to drive one or own one, but I had an 84 Aspencade (Gold Wing) that was rock solid and smoth as could be.  Loved it.  Sold it for a boat for bass fishing.   :-\

I have had an eye on a BMW touring bike though for when I get rich and famous.

Best advice I can give you is to take them out for a test ride with your passenger.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Wildcat

I would vote for the Honda or BMW. BMW for best handling (especially at slow speeds) and the Gold Wing for maximum comfort and storage. I've only owned one Harley many years ago and it left such a bad taste in my mouth that I vowed never to own one again.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Ka Honu

Image, fun, mystique - go for the Harley.

Relative road trip comfort (especially for 2) - the Gold Wing's your bike.

watchdog56

I have an 82 Goldwing and love the comfort. Has 44,000 miles on it and got it at 34000. Very dependable and nice ride. If you want some more info go to this link. Alot of nice people here also that will answer alot of your questions.
http://goldwingfacts.com/forums/
Good luck in your choice,

DarqMan

I'm a rider but just have a little Yamaha 1100 V-Star, however, if I were going to decide there'd be no question I'd get a Gold Wing.  Those puppies are so so nice.  Heated grips, heated seats, built in GPS, builit-in passenger to rider communication and on and on.  I know the Harley's are nice bike, but you pay so much for the name.  I vote Gold Wing ;D
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

DarqMan

I should say I'd go with the Gold Wing but slap some bad a$$ cobra pipes on her first ;D
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Kummok

ThanX all for your thoughts....I think I found what I'm after:

Unless Honda comes out with a Firefighter Gold Wing before I top off the toy account for cash purchase, the HD FF FLHTCU has my vote for now!

hal4uk

Kummok...

Let me be the first to NOT talk you out of that!
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

classicrockgriller

Kammok will be pullin a trailer with his Bradley on it hooked up to a 110 converter

Smokin Salmon as he rides down the road.

That is NICE!

hal4uk

Quote from: Kummok on July 10, 2010, 09:45:11 PM
before I top off the toy account for cash purchase, the HD FF FLHTCU has my vote for now!

[slightly off topic, Kummok - but, I don't want your GEM OF WISDOM to go un-noticed/un-shared]

Ok...  Listen up kids... AND LISTEN VERY CLOSELY...
Re-read what the man said...
Kummok just dropped some priceless FREE ADVICE on ya...

Key words: "CASH PURCHASE".
Lemme translate that (if y'all don't mind...)
Don't ever buy a TOY on CREDIT.  In the long run, you'll have a LOT MORE TOYS.
Awrighten.

Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby