Planked Talapia on the Gasser

Started by ArnieM, July 08, 2010, 07:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

Well, it's almost smoked.

I see DTAggie did something similar recently.  My thanks to DarqMan who put me on to the cedar plank deal at woot.com.  I've been out of planks for a while.

Soaked the plank for a few hours.  The dried it and oiled it.  Gave the fish an OO rub and some seafood rub.  The grill was running about 480.

Out of the grill.

Onto the plate.

Syracuse salt red potatoes that were dug up two days ago.  Steamed fresh green beans and carrots with some of NePaS' secret seasoning.

Pretty much a "30 minute meal".
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

DTAggie

Yep I did do that on the Weber recently.  Was fantastic.  Hope yours was as well.  What was in the spices you used?

classicrockgriller

Looks just great.

Wish I liked fish.

DTAggie

HUH?  The smokin' monkey no like fish?

Ka Honu

Tilapia?  Scrape off the fish and eat the plank.

ArnieM

Quote from: DTAggie on July 08, 2010, 07:31:24 PM
... What was in the spices you used?

I did a review of Road Kill Grill rub for the newsletter a while back.  The place sent me a bunch of stuff.  This is the first time I've tried this one.

Dean Jacob's seafood rub.  Comes in a tin.  The ingredients listed are:  Sea Salt, Natural Sugar, Lemon Peel, Dehydrated Onion, Garlic Citric Acid, Black Pepper, Coriander, Dehydrated Parsley and "Natural Flavor" ( whatever that is ).

You can find the stuff at www.xcellint.com if you're interested.
-- Arnie

ArnieM

CRG - Maybe I'll do mud bugs next time  :D
-- Arnie

ArnieM

Quote from: Ka Honu on July 08, 2010, 07:49:54 PM
Tilapia?  Scrape off the fish and eat the plank.

Easy KH.  Maybe next time I'll have your uncle bert walk the plank  ;D
-- Arnie

DarqMan

I love fish and would like a bite of that!

Looks delicious!
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

DTAggie

ArnieM

Quote from: DarqMan on July 08, 2010, 08:01:49 PM
I love fish and would like a bite of that!

Looks delicious!

It was good.  I prefer to plank salmon but had this farm raised frozen fish in stock; oh well.
-- Arnie

DTAggie

Salmon is better planked, the plank does help talapia keep from falling through.  The time I planked was the only time I had on talapia.  Usually just put it on the grill but the fillets were not too big.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: ArnieM on July 08, 2010, 07:54:51 PM
CRG - Maybe I'll do mud bugs next time  :D

I do like Blacken Catfish, shrimp, mud bugs, lobster and deep fried catfish (small chunks).

All are scavengers! ;D

ArnieM

Quote from: DTAggie on July 08, 2010, 08:04:39 PM
Arnie, did you like the rub?

Yes, the rub is good with minor problems.  The following is an excerpt from the review I did on a couple of the company's rub.s

2.   The Fowl Stuff and Fish-Tail seasonings are not 'homogenized'.  They consist of finely ground spices along with large unground spices and never the twain shall meet.  The former has a lot of dried rosemary needles (not listed in the ingredients) and the latter has whole coriander seeds that tend to end up rolling around on the counter when applied to the food.
Note:  I put both of these through my spice grinder to get a more even consistency.
-- Arnie