Sifto Quik Kure - For taste or to prevent bacteria

Started by zeek, June 11, 2005, 05:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zeek

What is Sifto Quik Kure? They do not sell it around here. Do I have to use Sifto Quik Kure? <b>Quick Kure for taste or to prevent bacteria during cooking?</b> I am cooking the Pork Roast for the Orignal Bradley Recipe book whick requires the Sifto Quik Kure. Recipe listed below:

Pork Roast

Pork takes to curing the best of all meats. The longer the cure is left in, the saltier the meat will be.

# Ingredients    1.350 kg (2 1/2 lb.) pork butt shoulder roast, boneless
# 150 ml (2/3 cup) <b>Sifto Quik Kure</b>
# 750 ml (3 cups) boiling water
# herbs, such as sage, rosemary, thyme
# Mustard Sauce (refer to Pork Section)

# Preparation    Trim the roast of any excess fat and place in a re-sealable bag
# Mix together the <b>Quik Kure</b>, water and herbs
# Let stand until cool
# Pour over meat in the bag and seal
# Refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally
# For a Dry Cure:
# Mix together 1 cup (250 ml) coarse salt and 4 tbsp. (60 ml) brown sugar.
# Rub thoroughly into the meat and place on a plate.
# Let stand for 2 hours.
# Smoke as above, omitting the instructions for rubbing on the Mustard Sauce.

# Smoking Method    Remove from brine, rinse well and pat dry. Let stand 1 - 2 hours
# Preheat smoker to approximately 90-100°C (190-220°F).
# Rub the roast with some of the Mustard Sauce and place on an oiled rack.
# Smoke cook for 4 hours, or until an instant thermometer reads 60°C (140°F). Cooking time will vary depending on wind and weather conditions.
# Place in a preheated 180°C (350°F) oven for 30 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 70°C (160°F).

Oldman

I did a google and this is all I could find out. (I tried Yahoo as well.)

1.) The only reference to Sifto Quik Kure is in the Bradley recipe.
2.) Doing a search on the name Sifto I found out that they mine salt.
3.) They don't list their products--Other than one I found that was a new product for them. It is for horses. You have to either call them or E-mail them about their products.
4.) All four of their list MSDS sheets only reflect the useage of de-iceing roads.
5.) Here is their web-site: http://www.siftocanada.com/index.html

After looking over this recipe I don't see a danger zone to worry about during the smoking/ cooking period. You might be able to use Morton Tender Quick in its place. I say this because the way this first part of this recipe reads I would call it a brine.

It is your call what to do. However, if it was me I would just go to the supermarket and grap Morton's. Or you can wait until Monday and call Bradley @ 1-800-665-4188.

EDIT: Seeing how the finished product is only cooked to 160 F I would use a cure. I'm  doing a butt today for slicing (not pulled pork) I will take it to 170 F. Then I'm going FTC it for at least one hour with a little apple jucie. BTW I boned it out first. A little salt and pepper, and it is a T-shirt smokin'!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!