how different is it to cook three?

Started by EZ Smoker, June 25, 2010, 05:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ Smoker

As I mentioned elswhere, my wife volunteered me to cook pork butts for her dad and mine, and of course I'll be cooking one for us to eat.   But I've never cooked three butts at once.  I've never even cooked two at once.

Normally, cooking to an IT in the 190s, I plan for 1.5-2 hours per pound... but I've never cooked three at a time.    How do I need to alter my plan to deal with three butts at once?     Obviously, recovery time after putting the meat in will be considerable longer.     
It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.

FLBentRider

I think I've only cooked one butt once or twice. With a family of six, we pretty much destroy one in a sitting, if not more.

Rotate your racks top to bottom and front to back every four hours or so.

As far as time. I would plan on 18-20 hours, and it is common for one to get done three or four hours earlier than the last one.

Take the temps in more than one spot, just in case you hit a fat pocket (they will read higher, fat is denser).
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

Preheat at max temp and let it ride at max until the cabinet temp comes up to

what you want to cook at, then adjust it down.

That will help some.

Also you will want to rotate the butts around or you will have one going 4 to 5 hrs longer than the others.

You can do it. ;D

EZ Smoker

Thanks.  The butts are in, getting 7 hours of smoke and then a lot of time at 225*.   only 1 probe in each right now, but I can add more whenit gets closer to my desired IT.     I'll have more details tomorrow.   
It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.

EZ Smoker

Checked the butts a few minutes ago.   All had IT between 152 an 163.   All is good.  Thanks.   Hopefully one will be ready by dinner time, and the other two can be gifts out of the fridge tomorrow.

EZ Smoker

I pulled the first one out at 7:50 pm (that's 21 hours), at an IT of 189 (because I'm hungry) and put it into FTC.   The other two still have quite a ways to go, but they should both be ready between 9 pm and 11 pm, which is no problem because I'm a late night kind of a guy.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: EZ Smoker on June 26, 2010, 06:34:31 PM
I pulled the first one out at 7:50 pm (that's 21 hours), at an IT of 189 (because I'm hungry) and put it into FTC.   The other two still have quite a ways to go, but they should both be ready between 9 pm and 11 pm, which is no problem because I'm a late night kind of a guy.

You are almost there.

The "Stall" on 3 Butts is like waiting for a Wifie and two Daughter's to get dressed and go somewhere. ;D

Way to Hang!

KyNola

EZ, way to hang in there.  The results are so worth the wait.  Congrats on resisting the urge to bump the temp.  The "stall" is when the magic happens.

EZ Smoker

Thanks, we just pulled the last one out of the smoker.  The wife is putting it into FTC as I type.   The 2nd one came out about 45 min earlier.   The 1st one, btw, was pretty doggone good.   A little dry around the bone, but otherwise perfect.

For the remaining two, we'll pull them tonight, divide each into thirds, vac-pack two thirds forour dads' freezers and give them each a third unfrozen to warm up in their crockpots tomorrow.   Our Dads are gonna love it.    And the potato salad is arlready made, so the flavors in it have time to meld.   

Thanks for the help.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: EZ Smoker on June 26, 2010, 09:45:32 PM
Thanks, we just pulled the last one out of the smoker.  The wife is putting it into FTC as I type.   The 2nd one came out about 45 min earlier.   The 1st one, btw, was pretty doggone good.   A little dry around the bone, but otherwise perfect.

For the remaining two, we'll pull them tonight, divide each into thirds, vac-pack two thirds forour dads' freezers and give them each a third unfrozen to warm up in their crockpots tomorrow.   Our Dads are gonna love it.    And the potato salad is arlready made, so the flavors in it have time to meld.   

Thanks for the help.

And you camera broke? ;D

Glad you are happy with the results.

EZ Smoker

Quote from: classicrockgriller on June 26, 2010, 09:54:01 PM

And your camera broke? ;D

Ha!  This got a quick chuckle out of me, and then I realized I still had one butt that hadn't been pulled yet, so I snapped a pic, just for you, CRG.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: EZ Smoker on July 15, 2010, 12:46:06 AM
Quote from: classicrockgriller on June 26, 2010, 09:54:01 PM

And your camera broke? ;D

Ha!  This got a quick chuckle out of me, and then I realized I still had one butt that hadn't been pulled yet, so I snapped a pic, just for you, CRG.

You have man an Old Man happy!

That has a pretty clolor to it.

I'm sure the Dads were quite impressed with your Butts! ;D

Smokin Soon

That really is a beautiful color. Did you mop during the cook?

EZ Smoker

Quote from: Smokin Soon on July 15, 2010, 07:15:08 AM
That really is a beautiful color. Did you mop during the cook?

No, no mopping or spritzing.  Other than changing the water, and rotating racks, I didn't do anything at all.  Just mustard slather, Grub Rub, fridge overnight, then into the smoker.   I do everything the EZ way.