Trying to Cold Smoke Cheese for the first time

Started by GThomas82, July 16, 2010, 04:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GThomas82

Hi there,

I would like to try my hand at cold smoking some cheese. I was hoping to get some help in regards to temperature, length of time, and what cheeses go with what flavours of smoke.

If you like, please let me know your favourite combos for cheese and smoke, as well as your techniques.

Thanks  :)

KevinG

Welcome to the forum GThomas82! For cheese I usually stick with a light flavor like apple, many go with hickory, but that's a little potent for me. It might be a little too warm to try and cold smoke this time of year. I probably would get a big pan of ice to put in the smoker to keep the temps from going too high.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Gizmo

If you have a cardboard box and some flexible aluminum dryer hose, you can seperate the smoke gen from the tower to keep temps lower as well. 

Here is a link for more details.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?32-Cold-Smoking-Of-Cheese
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

KyNola

Hey G, here's the trick to cold smoking cheese in the Bradley.  Don't EVEN try to taste it when it comes out of the smoker.  You'll hate it.  If you have a vac seal, seal it and toss it in the frig for at least 2 weeks.  No vac seal machine?  Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and into the frig for 2 weeks.  The smoke flavor needs that long to mellow out and permeate the cheese.  Otherwise it will taste like licking an ashtray.

You don't want the temp in the smoker to above 80-90 degrees.

Habanero Smoker

Another tip is to remove the "V" tray (drip tray) for better smoke circulation. For cheese and many drier products that are cold smoked you don't need the "V" tray, and since the element is turned off there is no issue of accidentally touching it and getting injured.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoking Duck

I agree with KY Nola but usually try to go as long as I can.  It's difficult to do but the longer you let it go, the better it gets, IMO. Cheese is a lot like men......think of the first two weeks being the teen years.  You get a bunch of attitude and you really have no idea what it's gonna turn out like.  The next two weeks are like the twenties.....you can start to see some maturity but then have glimpses of things just not being right.  The third period of 2 weeks is like the 30s.  Starting to think about settling down and it's not a bad time for a lady to choose a man at this time.  Anytime after the 30s, you've got a fine product.   ;)

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

deb415611

Quote from: Smoking Duck on July 17, 2010, 05:51:38 AM
  Anytime after the 30s, you've got a fine product.   ;)

should we see what Mrs. Duck thinks about this statement? ;D

Smoking Duck

Quote from: deb415611 on July 17, 2010, 05:59:55 AM
Quote from: Smoking Duck on July 17, 2010, 05:51:38 AM
  Anytime after the 30s, you've got a fine product.   ;)

should we see what Mrs. Duck thinks about this statement? ;D

I was 30 when we started dating but then I'm a hard cheese and it's harder for the smoke to permeate  ;D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

DTAggie

Welcome GT.  I have used both Apple and Hickory.  I put a foil pan full of ice to catch the pucks and a second foil an full of ice on the lowest rack.  I tasted cheese after two weeks and it still was not too good.  After six weeks it was great and gets better every week after.  Let us know how it goes.

GThomas82