You HAVE to Find and Get to Know Local butcher

Started by ArnieM, July 17, 2010, 01:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

I was home alone last night.  It was either thaw out a couple of dogs or go and see the butcher for a snack.  I went to the butcher.

He said try two of these.  They were flank steak pinwheels.  He said he just wrapped up these other three for freezing; take them also.  Pic below (two got eaten). 

Boy, was I embarrassed.  He wanted $2 and all I had was about $1.50.  He said skip the CC and he put it on my tab.

I went back today (Saturday) to pay off my $2.  I told him the steak was good.  He said it should be, It's USDA Prime.

He closes down on Saturday to clean out the meat case and reopens on Monday.  I asked if he had any "clearance" items.  I got my "doggy bag", shown below for $6.  Love this guy.

The ribeyes are Angus, the patties are prime sirloin and the drums come from - wherever.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

deb415611

Those pinwheels look good, what is in them?

his patties are good.  I bought a few of those the one time that I have managed to get there.

ArnieM

Hard to tell Deb.  Certainly garlic and parsley.  Maybe goat cheese too because it didn't melt out.  I'll ask him the next time I see him.  Heck, I was just happy to eat 'em.
-- Arnie

squirtthecat

WOW, what a deal.

Arnie, I'll ship you a cooler...    Do you take PayPal??   ;D

TestRocket

Yep!  Often is comes down to who you know. Good score!

KyNola

WOW! What a deal on both trips to the butcher shop.

You've got a good friend in that butcher Arnie.

ArnieM

I was planning on chicken in TBE tonight.  Debbie said to freeze the sucka and do the ribeyes.  So be it.  SWMBO wins again  :D

He is a one man shop and sells into some of the local restaurants.  He has been in the business for over 35 years.

He's also a smoker so we can shoot the breeze.  It's nice to have this kind of first name relationship.  Can't really do that at a mega-mart.
-- Arnie

Ka Honu

Quote from: ArnieM on July 17, 2010, 03:13:25 PMSWMBO wins again

You say that like another outcome is ever even remotely possible.

ArnieM

Dinner was done.  I don't know how to rate beef but I'd guess they were either high-end Angus or prime rib eyes.

The rib eyes were done on the grill along with the baked taters.  The broc was steamed with added shredded cheddar and butter at the end.

The rib eye was REALLY good!

-- Arnie

ArnieM

Quote from: Ka Honu on July 17, 2010, 04:35:05 PM
Quote from: ArnieM on July 17, 2010, 03:13:25 PMSWMBO wins again

You say that like another outcome is ever even remotely possible.

I think it's about 9-1 and I can't remember the last time I won.
-- Arnie

Ka Honu

Quote from: ArnieM on July 17, 2010, 04:40:23 PMI think it's about 9-1 and I can't remember the last time I won.

Ahh, you may have a member of the subspecies, SWMAABO (She Who Must Almost Always Be Obeyed).  If so, you have a rare specimen.  Don't confuse this, however, with the more common situation where the victim is allowed to to think he's in charge occasionally even though he's merely being toyed with.

classicrockgriller

Great score and another great looking meal!