How much casing / pounds of sausage

Started by love the smoke, July 17, 2010, 05:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

love the smoke

Has anybody put together or know where a list of how many feet of casing is need for X pounds of meat

38-42 mm casing
         ?? Feet to do ?? pounds of sausage 

Chubs

?? feet to do ?? pounds of sausage

and so on

LTS
LTS

Up In Smoke

LTS,
I am thinking when you purchase the casings the retailer will give an estimate of weight per hank.
there are a lot of sausage makers here that will be able to help get you dialed in a little better.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

KevinG

There's a couple of problems with this, the first is that the casing sizes do vary, the second is that your ingredients will vary - so you will never have the same weight to volume ratio. Manufacturers figured this out a while ago and that's why they went to collagen, they are more uniform in size. Then they could figure the weight for each recipe. If you're just looking for a ball park you'll probably get 100-125lbs in a 32-35 or 40-42 hog casing. 50-60 will fit in a 22-24 or 24-26 sheep casing.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Smokin Soon

If you are new to sausage, just start out with one of the "kits" available from many suppliers. They give you exact measurements with the proper amount of cure and supply the casings.

Habanero Smoker

As mentioned above the casings vary in size, but also more importantly is how tight you stuff the sausage. The tighter it is packed the less casings you will need, but if they are packed too tightly you will not be able to make link, or cook them without some blowouts.

I've been using the lengths recommended in Charcuterie and they are pretty close, with very little left over. I can give you a guideline for 32 - 35mm hog casing. When you make a five pound batch, it generally is around 6 pounds after all the ingredients are added. I use 10 feet of casings, and may have anywheres from a 6" - 18" left over. For 22-24mm sheep casing you will need about 20 feet.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

love the smoke

Thanks all

I just want a ballpark so I know how much casing to prepare, I don't want to be in the middle of stuffing session to find out I need to soak some more casing before i can continue. On the other side I don't want to have to resalt two lengths either.

I did find on Sausage maker a few lengths to pounds, any body know off hand how much to do the summer sausage style the 2 3/8ths

oops found it 24' per 2.5 pounds

I guess I better do a little more searching on my own seems I can find it  ;D

LTS

LTS

Habanero Smoker

With natural casings you can always soak much more then you need. Any casings that are not used, drain, pat dry with paper towels, salt them with pickling or kosher salt and put them back in the container with the other casings.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

love the smoke

I should of looked before I asked, Sausage maker has this information on there website  :-[ well i put it into a excell file and made it understandable, printed out and put in my smoker binder, thanks all

LTS
LTS

Tenpoint5

I know this is a old post but I am trying to find a chart that I have seen that does exactly what LTS was asking. It tells you about how many feet of each casing size is needed for X amount of meat. I know I have seen it just wondering if someone else has seen it and happened to jot down where they seen it at.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

How much casing to use will be dependant upon the diameter of the casing, I tend to use
28mm hog or collagen & will use about 3ft per lb, 18 - 20mm sheep casing or collagen use
about 5ft per lb.

More info.

1 pound of meat will stuff about 2 feet of medium-size hog casing (32-35 mm)

1 pound of meat will stuff about 4 feet of medium-size lamb casing (20-22 mm)

1 ounce of medium-size hog casing (32-35 mm) will stuff about 8 feet of sausage

1 pound of medium-size lamb casing (20-22 mm) will stuff about 16 feet of sausage