CHEESE

Started by SAMMY C, August 14, 2003, 08:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SAMMY C

[8D]I tried my hand at smoking cheese over the weekend I used a variety of cheeses (chedder, jack, mazzarella)I cut the slices 1/2 in. thick and smoked it for 1 hr. using mesquite wood. The result was it had a burnt smell to it[:(]. Anybody out there in Bradley land have any suggestions on the proper way to smoke cheese[?].I'm wondering if I have to smoke the whole brick or not. I did seperate the smoke generator fron the unit, this is after I melted the first batch.

NorthernBro

I used a whole block of Mozerella cheese, fresh out of the fridge and put it in the smoker late at night when the weather was cool and smoked it with Pecan for about 1Hr with the water bowl filled with ice.  We grated it up the next day and made a wicked Lasagna with it.  The trick is to keep it cool.<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SAMMY C</i>
<br />[8D]I tried my hand at smoking cheese over the weekend I used a variety of cheeses (chedder, jack, mazzarella)I cut the slices 1/2 in. thick and smoked it for 1 hr. using mesquite wood. The result was it had a burnt smell to it[:(]. Anybody out there in Bradley land have any suggestions on the proper way to smoke cheese[?].I'm wondering if I have to smoke the whole brick or not. I did seperate the smoke generator fron the unit, this is after I melted the first batch.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

SAMMY C

Northernbro what's up thanks for the response I guess it's just you and me out here. Thanks for the tip, my problem is I live in the Mojave Desert in So. California it can stay 100 degrees ferenhiet in the evenings until late[:(]thank goodness for air conditioning. My question to you is did you seperate the smoke generator from the unit and pipe it in. Good idea about the ice water I'll try it. Check out my bacon post[8D]

Keiger

SammyC
I just bought a smoker today at Cabelas and one of the things the guys told me was about smoking cheese.  They used the hole brick and put it on the top rack, on the bottom rack they put a bowl of ICE and then turned off the heating element or down to just smoking?  If that is right. I have not put mine together yet.

SAMMY C

[8D] Keiger I think I'll try that suggestion about the brick of cheese and using the ice. I had the wife run to the market today and pick me up a brick of cheddar and jack to smoke this weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out. I think I'll try maple or alder bisquits for the smoke. Let you know how it turns out. You need to take that smoker out of the box and fire it up. I've done ribs, london broil, and tri tip roasts with excellent results. I'm curing my own bacon now it's on it's second week now and I'll smoke that with maple. I'll post the results of that on my bacon post.

guido

try putting your mazzarella in a 1# loaf pan press it in nice and tight. Put in th e smoker keep your tempature at about 220 degrees smoke for about an hour. Take it out lat it cool turn over and put pack in loaf pan, smoke for another hour or so, remove from smoker let cool slice and enjoy. Hint befor you start spray the inside of the loaf pan with one of those non stick sprays, Pam works good

SAMMY C

Keiger I tried your suggestions and results were great. I used the ice and the block of cheese method.........Guido at 220 degrees for an hour doesn't the cheese melt into liquid or is that the point, then pull it out-harden it and then flip it and then do it again. Can I get a little more info. please. [B)]

Keiger

Sammy
Did you leave the box heating element off and just have the bisket element on to smoke the bisket?

I have had problems with my smoker with parts not working right and waiting for new ones to arrive, but Bradley has been great and now I am up and running, and going to start my hand at things.

Chez Bubba

Keiger's got the right idea. You should only turn on the smoke generator. The slider switch on the smoker box should be all the way to the left so it is off.

http://www.chezbubba.com
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

usff

I've done this a bunch of times. It's simple no matter what the outside temp is.

Don't plug the smoke box into the smoke generator. Even if it's all the way down it still has some heat to it when plugged in.

Take the water bowl and fill it with ice. Put 1-3 chips into the smoker and start the smoke. Take some bread pans and put ice in those as well and place on bottom rack.

Get your cheese ready, I use the typical 8oz. blocks from the super market. Cheddar, Monterey Jack ect..

Put them on the top rack and smoke em for 30-60 minutes. Keep the top vent fully open the whole time. Keep the temp as low as possible (Under 90F) by adding more ice.  Once you start seeing sweat on the cheese you're basically done.  Chill immediately and slice when ready to serve.

Hickory is a good smoke for most cheeses.

pmefford

Smoking Cheese -

Cheese takes a very light amount of smoke or it will taste ashey or kind of like old cigarette butts!  Smoking in the bradley - open the top vent all the way.  Use no heat, consider proping the door to the smoker open to help reduce heat from the smoking element and the amount of smoke.  You want a very light smoke!  Smoke for 1-2 hours max.  The less smoke that comes into contact with the cheese the better.  Keep the temp in the smoke at 70-80 F.  Even 60 is better.  you may have to smoke at night.  I live in California it is to warm in the daytime for this.  If the cheese gets to warm it will start to sweat and this will also add to an undisirable flavor of ash.  The moisture holds the smoke particles and tastes quite nasty.  So, two things about cheese, smoke it low temp and very, very light wispy smoke.

Chez Bubba

http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

msiler

What worked best for me was to cut the 1 lb blocks into thirds. this allows more smoke taste in my opinion and is the perfect size for crackers etc. Just make sure that the slide switch is off and the top vent is all the way open or the heat will build up. I amost melted my cheese cause the vent was closed caught it just in time. I did not have to use ice but then again I have my smoker installed inside with a smoke hood.[8D]

whitetailfan

Tried some cheese this last weekend.  Did half a brick of mozza and half a brick of cheddar.  Cold smoked under 100 for about 2 hours with hickory.  It may have been a little long, but I really liked it, wife liked it but probably would have preferred less smoke.[:I]

The cheddar was phenominal!!!  I had some people over for a barbecue on Sunday and broke out the block for them to try.  Well there was none left over[:0]

I never thought about this when I bought the Bradley, but this is one of my favorites now and will be doing a lot more.[:D]

John - Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

trout

I have smoked colby cheese before with good results, but I also believe in a very subtle smoke flavor for mild cheeses or you will mask the taste of the cheese.  Maybe cheese would be a good candidate for the "Olds Tshirt wrap".  This would keep the smoke a bit lighter and shield the cheese from getting too hot all at the same time.[:D]

Let your trout go and smoke a salmon instead.