CHEESE

Started by SAMMY C, August 14, 2003, 08:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzybear

Dang all that stuff sounds good!  Now I gotta try some!

Sammy C - another SO Cal smoker! [8D] That's two of us!! Woohoo!

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

whitetailfan

Done about 4 batches now.  Smoke cheddar blocks for 1hr 20min (4 pucks worth).  Keep the the cabinet unplugged and it's hard to reach 100deg.  Since I dont have Bubba pucks yet, I have to open the cabinet door to advance the last 2 pucks and that helps to eliminate the heat.  I wipe the cheese down with paper towel to eliminate the sweat and throw in the fridge right away to firm the block back up.  Resist temptation to try right away as it is so much better brought back to cold temp.

I use hickory smoke on it.  I did a block of mozza the first time out, but the length of time I did that batch was too long, but mostly mozza is a weaker cheese, so it's easier to over smoke - never had a bad batch of cheddar[:p]

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

ChefJeff

I,m convinced I will try a block of Habanero Chedder with oak.I will let you know how it turns out.[;)]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN

ruffinit

thanks wtf, i too will try it this weekend,sounds too good![:p]

mike

trout

Chef,  where the hell did you find habenero cheddar.  I worked at a cheese factory for a few years and never came across anything like that.  That isn't from one of those dairy farms in California is it[?]Sound good though.  Nachos from hellllll[}:)]

Let your trout go and smoke a salmon instead.

Oldman

trout,
 use to make my own out of cheat cheese. Velveeta. Melt it down add grinded up peppers and some very finely grated cheddar. Place it in a very greased up bread ban and chill. Easy to spead and hot as....!
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

ChefJeff

Trout, Got it at our local B J'S Wholesale Club also did a pepper jack.Oh yeah- both came out real good!4 oak pucks no heat and a bowl of ice.Thanks to all for the info.[:p][:p]HOT,HOT,[^][^][^]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by trout</i>
<br />That isn't from one of those dairy farms in California is it[?]

Let your trout go and smoke a salmon instead.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">But those cows are supposedly a lot more happy than the Wisconsin cows. Maybe they're more creative too![;)][:D][:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

ChefJeff

Nope the cows are from Vermont.Cabots cheese of Vermont ,I think they have a web site.I don't know if these are Happy Cows eating Habaneros(OUCH)[:D][V]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN

Fuzzybear

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!  Feel the burn! (Cows!) LOL!

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

whitetailfan

Just an update from my last cheese post.  Still smoking medium cheddar for 4 pucks, but this last time I used Pecan instead of Hickory.  Both are good, but if you want to please a wider range of people, use the Pecan.  It is just milder enought to make a difference - wife loves it now as opposed to just pleased with hickory[:)]

"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

pedally

They say cheddar cheese is good on apple pie....I wonder how cheddar cheese is with apple smoke...?

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pedally</i>
<br />They say cheddar cheese is good on apple pie....I wonder how cheddar cheese is with apple smoke...?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I'm sure it would be good, I think that apple is very light so it would be even less intrusive than pecan.
<font color="blue">BUT</font id="blue">
I think the better question is - how would smoked cheddar taste on apple pie[?]

"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB

Cold Smoke

Anyone ever smoked an apple pie?[:)]

Cold Smoke

QLiss

Okay, I just got my BS up and running and tried a little cheese. I cooled off the smoker w/ and ice pack inside before starting. Had it around 60F. Then I put in 1/3 bricks of cheddar, pepperjack, and swiss. Filled the water bowl with ice, and put a cake pan of ice on the first rack (cheese was on the second). I started the smoke and smoked for 1 hour. The first 30 min. I had the door propped open. When I went out to checkand advance another bisquette 10 min later, the door was shut. Internal temp read about 80F and a fair amount of smoke in the cabinet. Propped the door open again, but the cheese already smelled ashy at that point and had a little sweat on it. I let it go for 1 more bisquette with the door open, but the damage seemed to be done. Do most of you have to keep your door open to produce the light smoke or was there something else I missed? Needless to say, a disappointing first run, but I'm sure this will be an extensive learning process.[:I]

QLiss