CHEESE

Started by SAMMY C, August 14, 2003, 08:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

psdubl07

Hey Cold Smoke, if you like it w/ a Cabernet, try it w/ a tempranillo.  Any Rioja or Ribera Del Duero is fine, but if you can get your hands on it, try the Abacela from the Umpqua Valley in Oregon.  It's a massive, earthy wine that goes good w/ smoked foods IMO.

manxman

Smoked a variety of cheese yesterday:

1.Mild Cheddar
2.Mature Cheddar
3.Red Leicester
4.Double Gloucester
5.Cracked Black Peppercorn Mature Cheddar..... (speciality cheese produced in a local creamery, the use of black peppercorns in cheesemaking apparently dates back over 1000 years to Viking times![8D])

All were cold smoked using apple briquettes for 5 hours, temperature did not register on BS thermometer or independent thermometer so <50 degF. Vent was around a third open. Each block was around 10 - 12 oz.

They have been wrapped in cling film/plastic wrap and will be left in the fridge for around 48 hours.

Next step is to hold a tasting session with family and friends to compare and contrast!!!![:D][:p][:D][:p]

Manxman.
Manxman

Cold Smoke

Thanks for the recommendation Psdubl07. I'll try to find that at the wine store next time I pop in.

Cold Smoke

psdubl07

No problem Cold.  I should have included this before, but here's their web address.
http://www.abacela.com/winery.html

Hey Manx, my brother was in your neck of the woods for the TT races a few years ago, he had an unbelievable time!  I've seen it on TV and all I can say is, those dudes are crazy....

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by manxman</i>
<br />5.Cracked Black Peppercorn Mature Cheddar..... (speciality cheese produced in a local creamery, the use of black peppercorns in cheesemaking apparently dates back over 1000 years to Viking times![8D])<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I have a small group of friends that funningly have taken on Viking names amongst ourselves. Mine happens to be "Leif the Lucky", but my favorite is my buddy's "Thor on the Floor"![:D]

Classic muscle car annotation, yet referring to drinking heavily. It's a 2X[;)]. [:D][8D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

manxman

Hi psdubl07,

Yeah, you are right, the TT motorcyle races are AWESOME. The riders sure believe in getting the most out of life, I have watched it for 30+ years and it still takes the breath away!! [:0]

Working in a hospital and also having a best mate who was one of the top riders I have seen several different aspects of the races..... the fun [:D], the fear [:0], the sadness [:(] and the happiness [:)]One thing is for sure, 40000 bikers sure make this place rock for two weeks every year!! [:D][:D][:D][:D]

I am still trying to think of Viking names to match Chez's offering, hard to beat "Thor on the Floor"!![:D]

Manxman.
Manxman

psdubl07

Manx, who is the rider you know?  I would love to make it over there sometime for the races.  I assume it's not quite the same w/out Joey Dunlop though. [:(]

Kirk, that is funny as hell!  I don't think I can beat Thor on the Floor, but can I be "Bjorn to be Wild"?  [:p][:D][8D]

manxman

Hi psdublo7,

The rider I knew was a guy called Colin Gable, not in the same league as Joey but had a 3rd, 4th, 5th and several top 10 finishes and beat "yer man" Joey on a number of occasions.. Sadly he did not "beat the clock" and was killed in 1997 here on the Island.

Joey was unique, a genuine sportsman and a gentleman, his exploits off the racing circuit are now almost as legendary as his exploits on it ..... such as taking relief aid to orphanages in Romania. This only became common knowledge after his death, he was the most unassuming of men.

Only knew the guy vaguely but it was a humbling experience, particularly in these days of overhyped overpaid and selfcentred sportsmen and women. And he smoked like a chimney...........!!!!

Manxman.
Manxman

psdubl07

Wow, sorry to hear about your friend.  At least he died doing what he loved.  To even finish at The Isle is a feat in itself.

Yeah, Joey was a special guy.  I've seen footage of him whooping it up before and after races like it's no big deal.  But I also know there was a lot more to him past that.  We'll never see anyone quite like him again.

manxman

Further to my post regarding the five different types of cheese I smoked on 27/02/05, I would definately recommend apple smoking and all the different varieties came out really well.[:p][:D][:p]

To psdubl07, I tried to send you a file containing a short bit of spectacular TT video footage but I had a problem attaching it to the email to go thru the forum, probably highlighting my (lack of) computer skills.[:I]

We have a larger than life American who races here every year, a guy called Wade Boyd. He loves the place!![:)][:)][:)]

Manxman.
Manxman

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by manxman</i>
<br />a short bit of spectacular TT video footage<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Hey, not here, this is family forum![:D][:D][:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

manxman

Hi Kirk,

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Kirk:  The eyes read "trolley" but the brain registered "trollop". I'm warped! <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

It's OK, TT stands for "Tourist Trophy", not "Tonna the Trollop" so it would have been safe family viewing!!! [:D][:D][:D][:D][}:)]

(Tonna is an old female Viking name.... not very feminine!![;)])

Manxman.
Manxman

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">It's OK, TT stands for "Tourist Trophy", not "Tonna the Trollop" so it would have been safe family viewing!!! <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Way tooo funny....[:D][:D]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Tonna is an old female Viking name.... not very feminine!!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I now know why my blind date was named Tonna....I thought it might have been because of the weight issue......It was obviously for the distinct chin line and blond braids....Thanks for clearing that up for me....[^]

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

manxman

Hi Mallard Wacker,

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Mallard Wacker: I now know why my blind date was named Tonna....I thought it might have been because of the weight issue......<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I once met a  Tonna on a blind date, she definately had a weight issue. The surname "Two" should have given it away..... Tonna Two... probably nearer two i seem to remember!! [:I][:(]

Manxman.
Manxman

psdubl07

Manx, i would LOVE to see that.  Try sending it to [email protected]