Monday Night Dinner - Going Italian With Smoked Meatballs

Started by ArnieM, July 12, 2010, 04:01:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

I go simple during the week.  Linguine with red sauce (gravy for the Italians) meatballs and salad.

Meatballs - 1.5 pounds of 80% GB mixed up with Penzy's dried minced garlic and onion.  Added some chopped cilantro, CYM, S&P and grated parm.  They got an hour of oak and then finished in the oven at 425.  Thirteen MB's total.

Sauce - Minced garlic and onion with a bit of red pepper flakes and a pinch of salt sweated for about 45 minutes.  Added a can of San Marzano whole tomatoes.  I love the feel of crushing them up in the pot  :D  Added some dried oregano and fresh chopped basil.  I let it reduce for a while to thicken the sauce. 

Salad - Green leaf lettuce, arugula, tomato and avocado with (naturally) Italian dressing.

Really pretty simple and I didn't have to cook it for 24 hours  ;D

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

KevinG

I always said, if I ever get married it'll be to an Italian woman - love the food. Hope you're not wearing a dress Arnie.  :D
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

seemore

ArnieM

squirt - c'mon over any time.

Kevin - I'll introduce you to Julie.  Loves to cook, clean and party.

seemore - Thanks.  I like good and simple.
-- Arnie

ArnieM

Just a quick note on the sauce. 

I first heard about the San Marzano whole tomatoes in a post from Deb for her pizza sauce.  I tried them.  They're a little pricey but I'm sticking with them.  They are simply great.  If you want to try them get the Italian cans, not CA.  No offense to the CA people but the Italian pack is superior.
-- Arnie

hal4uk

Looks gooood, Arnie!!!
Me n Squirt might have to forego one of our excursions to our favorite Mob Eatery in STL, and drop by your house!
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

ArnieM

Quote from: hal4uk on July 12, 2010, 10:17:15 PM
Looks gooood, Arnie!!!
Me n Squirt might have to forego one of our excursions to our favorite Mob Eatery in STL, and drop by your house!

You're both welcome.  Pick up squirt and his cats.  His three and my three should have a FINE time  :D

Just give me some notice so I can thaw out the tofu  ;D
-- Arnie

SnellySmokesEm

Personally I dont think there's enough Italian on this site.  ;D  I love making my own sauce too.  Good Job!
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

ArnieM

I'll have to figure out how to work some smoke into Italian and Asian cuisine.  I've seen a couple of recipes for Asian-style smoked pork.  I'll have to check them out.

Debbie's girlfriend Julie is bringing her dad over for lunch tomorrow.  He was born in Italy and has been in this country for about 60 years.  But, danged if I can understand him.  Maybe I can get some ideas with Julie translating  :D
-- Arnie