Two or more shelf considerations

Started by wjbinokc, July 21, 2010, 09:56:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wjbinokc

I just got my first Bradley Smoker.  I can hear the applause now!

Yet, I have a question.  What considerations are there when cooking meat using two or more shelves at the same time?  I checked around quite a bit on the forum and did not see this question addressed.  (I might missed it though.)

For example, if I cook two briskets at the same time (on two different shelves), what do I do about the brisket on the top shelf dripping on the one on the lower shelf?  Are there other considerations?

Thanks in advance...

TestRocket

Welcome wjbinokc,

Congrats on your new smoker. Someone with more experience then me will come along soon but I think your biggest worry would be doing chicken along with another food you would want the chicken below everything else.  Other than that let um drip. Good luck!

EZ Smoker

If your concern is bacteria, then once you heat the briskets up to proper temp you'll be fine.   (Most people cook brisket to an IT of 180 or higher).
If your concern is that drippings from one brisket might take off the rub from the other brisket, I'd say you're fine there too.   I mean... many people baste or spritz their Q while it's cooking, so this would just be a little automatic basting. 

I often cook with one rack on top of the other and I've never had a problem from the drippings.

It is worth considering, though, to rotate the racks (top to bottom and front to back) from time to time because the Bradley heat source is at the bottom and at the back, so often the bottom and the back of the cabinet are hotter than the top or the front. 
It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.

classicrockgriller

wjbinokc, Welcome to the forum!

EZ has fixed you up.

You might want to check out our FAQ's
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=748#post748

recipe site:
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/

Try this link to get your pictures going.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=768&postcount=11

FLBentRider

The only thing I have chicken dripping on is chicken.

If kosher is a concern, pork dripping on beef would be a problem.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

wjbinokc

Thanks.  You and others have answered my immediate questions and more.  This is what I wanted to know basically.  Now I have some Bradley smokin' to do.   :D

Ka Honu

Quote from: FLBentRider on July 21, 2010, 11:36:36 AMIf kosher is a concern, pork dripping on beef would be a problem.

True.  If you have the beef dripping on the pork, however, then the pork becomes kosher through a process known as ecumenical transmogrification.  TMS&ISTI.

squirtthecat

Quote from: Ka Honu on July 22, 2010, 01:44:38 AM
pork becomes kosher through a process known as ecumenical transmogrification.  TMS&ISTI.

Hal and I made some chicken along those lines...   ::)   That's the phrase I was looking for!