1st butt any suggestions?

Started by got smoke, July 21, 2010, 02:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

got smoke

second go with my bradley ribs were a my first and they were just a bit too smokey ( a little acrid leftmlastmpuck on burner ::) She is a beauty weighing in at 7.75# and was $1.69 per #. first butt like something decently mild thinkin g of using maple and apple how long to smoke? rub and sauce suggestions? do you pour sauce over your pulled pork or mix and use as a side? sorry for all the questions BUTT ;D
wanna get her right!!!! ;)

KyNola

I would go 4 hours of smoke then cook to an IT of 195.  Lots of good rub choices as well as sauces.  Check out the recipe website for various options. www.susanminor.org

Sauce on the side for me.

Wildcat

I second what KyNola said and recommend apple. My favorite rub is Oinker rub.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

wkahler

You are in GREAT hands here!!  I have the same thing going on this weekend, but its my second one and its for 20-30 people!  :-\  hopefully it works out for both of us!
The smoking lamp is lit!!!

got smoke

wkahler   What are you using for smoke and rub? hopefully we will both be happy with our butts

FLBentRider

I'd go with the renowned Mr Brown rub and Vaunted Vinegar, on the side.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

TestRocket

I just did my first butt (7.8 lbs) last weekend and rubbed it with mustard and applied my rub (there are many good ones and I'll get mine on here somewhere) and wrapped it in plastic for an overnight stay in the fridge. I smoked it with hickory for 4 hours (will do 6 next time) and cooked until and IT of 190 degs (then wrapped it in foil for about an hour). It was moist, tender and delicious.  After it was pulled I used about 1 part Lawler's mild BBQ sauce (vinegar, pepper type) to 3 parts apple juice (about 1 cup total) to splash onto the pulled pork (didn't use it all).  It was the best pork butt I have ever done. Good luck!  ;D

wkahler

I'm using my Traeger for the smoke with some hickory for about 4-5 hours and then going to load it up and let it smoke until i hit 185-190 in each butt!!  I already have the rub mixed up, its the Mr Brown rub, I mixed it up this after noon:

Ingredients:

* 1/4 cup Black Pepper, fresh cracked
    * 1/4 cup Paprika
    * 1 /4 cup Turbinado Sugar or Brown Sugar
    * 2 Tbsp. Salt, Kosher
    * 2 tsp. Mustard, dry
    * 1 tsp. Cayenne pepper
      (Makes enough for one 6 - 8 lb. Boston Butt)

Quote from: got smoke on July 21, 2010, 03:42:03 PM
wkahler   What are you using for smoke and rub? hopefully we will both be happy with our butts
The smoking lamp is lit!!!

got smoke

thanks for all thesuggestions guys! wkahler 1/4 cup of black pepper sure sounds like alot anyone find it too much?

smokeNcanuck

I would also say that Oinker Rub is the S**T!  Give it a try.

Wkahler, I think we are in the same boat, as I too am smoking some butt for a large crowd
this weekend.  GOOD LUCK!!  I am going with CT and Oinker rub, vaunted vinegar and bbq sauce on the side.
That vaunted vinegar sauce is also worth checking out I love it!

GOOD LUCK got smoke, you'll do fine :D

SnC
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

got smoke

thanks for the vote of confidence I think butts are fairly forgiving from what I have read

classicrockgriller

A "Good" Butt will always forgive you.

Sorce

Quote from: classicrockgriller on July 21, 2010, 08:27:06 PM
A "Good" Butt will always forgive you.

Just make sure you rub it well.

got smoke

dcoes pinching your farvorite butt cause bruising?

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby