You know when you are to old to be a gamer when...

Started by Oldman, June 15, 2005, 10:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

You know when you are to old to be a gamer when you find out about SLI Technology that allows you to tie two GeForce 6800 Ultra video cards together. *Cough - Cough* That is $500.00 per card~~~! Oh ya that does not count the new motherboard that is needed. Not to mention that really big power supply you have to upgrade to. Then there is talk on some of the reviews about the extra heat so most are looking at water cooling.

A pre-made quality "white" box maxed-out is around 4 thousand dollars! -- Oh ya *cough* this is an air cooled model...not a water cooled model!

Ya for the good ole days when I could rag that I have a Voodoo 1 with a full 4 megs of ram on it~~LOL!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Chez Bubba

Olds,

When the first company I worked for out of college went belly-up, I bought one of their computers at the auction. It was an Apple III, "the machine for business". It boasted twice the RAM as any other machine available.......520K!![:D][:D][:D]

Actually, I still have it, along with several accessories, and have seen them go on Ebay for more than double what I paid for it to these "retro-compu-geeks". Might have to list it one of these days.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

MallardWacker

Dang Olds---you do love gaming.  YOWZAA.  When it comes to computers and software it can be an endless place to spend spare cash.  WOW that much heat, my home box I made with an aluminum COOLER MASTER case.  To me that made big differance on the heat build up.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Dang Olds---you do love gaming. YOWZAA. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Yepper I do enjoy a good game that is for sure. However, I'm not going to give 4K for a system, especially one that comes with a crappy 19 inch monitor.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">...my home box I made with an aluminum COOLER MASTER case. To me that made big differance on the heat build up.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I have a large aluminum tower. You are correct it does make a big difference.

This is a pix of my box. You will see that the 3 black items are hard drives. The one that is lit is in the primary-bootable drive-caddy. Currently that one is my personal/ gaming drive. The one up top is my business drive (It is also a bootable drive.) It's in a caddy that is not wired to the system. That caddy is just a "holder." The one at the bottom is slaved to the primary drive. It is my backup drive; however, as you can see it is not lit up as I have it turned off. Also you will note that my drive holders are aluminum. [^]

Opps looking at that pix I guess I better clean the filter at the bottom LOL!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!