1st butt any suggestions?

Started by got smoke, July 21, 2010, 02:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wkahler

I did the finger test, aka licked my finger and stuck it in the bowl of rub, and it seemed OK.  The one thing i cut back on was the cayenne pepper it seems to have to big of a kick for the family so used about a 1/4 of what it called for!!!
Quote from: got smoke on July 21, 2010, 06:50:47 PM
thanks for all thesuggestions guys! wkahler 1/4 cup of black pepper sure sounds like alot anyone find it too much?
The smoking lamp is lit!!!

KevinG

Quote from: got smoke on July 21, 2010, 06:50:47 PM
thanks for all thesuggestions guys! wkahler 1/4 cup of black pepper sure sounds like alot anyone find it too much?

I'm still eating leftovers from the one I made and the pepper quantity isn't too much at all.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Habanero Smoker

I generally use pecan for the smoke, Mr. Brown for the rub, and mix in 1 - 2 cups of vaunted vinegar (depending on the amount of shredded pork) and have more vaunted vinegar sauce and other sauces on the side. I generally average about one cup of vaunted vinegar per butt, that I will mix into the shredded pork. When I make my vaunted vinegar I use Nakano Rice Vinegar.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

got smoke

Thanks for all the info. being a northern canuck I am thinkin maple smoke and kinda leaning towards a sweet but tangy sauce keep the suggestions coming any feedback on starting with maple finishing with apple and my sauce idea?

FLBentRider

Quote from: got smoke on July 22, 2010, 07:13:34 PM
Thanks for all the info. being a northern canuck I am thinkin maple smoke and kinda leaning towards a sweet but tangy sauce keep the suggestions coming any feedback on starting with maple finishing with apple and my sauce idea?

I would caution you to be careful with sauces that have "smoke" flavor. It often clashes with the smoke flavor of the pork butt.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!