Lil' Butts

Started by Max, July 22, 2010, 01:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max

Two 1/2 cut pork shoulders, 3.75 and 4 pounds. Sitting in FTC now, ready to shred. I need me a PID, I got no sleep last night.

Ka Honu

Quote from: Max on July 22, 2010, 01:13:03 PM...I need me a PID, I got no sleep last night.

Faith and Valium work wonders and are far cheaper than a PID.  Set it up the way it should be, have faith in both your ability and the forgiving nature of large chunks of pig, take a Valium, and deal with it in the morning.

Max

I usually just let it ride, but for some reason the temp was swinging all over the place. Normally I do put a pan of water under the meat 1 or 2 racks down. But this time I just replaced the water bowl with a 9 x 11 cake pan filled with water. Maybe having the water pan above the heating element helps keep the temp changes slow. I didn't put my bricks in there either this time. one thing for sure, without all that stuff the Bradley got up to temp quickly after water changes and door opens. Not sure what I'll do for the next smoke. There is no formula to this stuff, you just have to keep trying things until you figure out what works for you.

Uncle Pigfat

The smell of smoked roasting pork may as well be crack.  There is no sleeping when the pig fever is upon you.  I tried doing the sleeping in 45 min - hour increments but after the first 4 hours there was no way I was going back to sleep.  I like not using a PID.  I think it builds character.  And justifies the doting I will inevitably do during my smokes, with or without the assistance of advanced temp control.

Ka Honu

Quote from: Uncle Pigfat on July 22, 2010, 03:25:03 PM... I think it builds character.  And justifies the doting ...

At this point in my life, I don't have to justify anything and the last thing I need is more character.

classicrockgriller

Looks like a fine job to me.

And don't tell me this is the first pig you stayed up all nite with. ;D

GusRobin

I'll take the PID and sleep.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

classicrockgriller

Get you a maverick and set the alarm.

Max

QuoteGet you a maverick and set the alarm.

I have one. But the thing beeps so loud I'm afraid of waking up the house  :)
For me, I think the single probe PID in combo with the maverick would be a good choice.

QuoteThere is no sleeping when the pig fever is upon you.

Uncle Pigfat is right. Even with a PID, I'd probably be tinkering with the vent or some other thing. The hardest part is just leaving the it alone and walking away. You 'd figure after doing about a dozen cooks with the Bradley and every single one of them coming out great, I'd learn my lesson and "have some faith" like Ka Honu said.

Oh, and those butts pulled real easy and the meat was nice and moist. The bones slid right out, clean. Used a lot of brown sugar in the rub so got a nice bark on them.

Here's the rub I used:

2 cups brown sugar
2 T paprika
1 T kosher salt
0.5 T cayenne
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 Lg crushed bay leaf

Rubbed them the day before and let them sit in fridge for 24 hrs, turned over once. Slathered lightly with mustard right before going  into the smoker, fat side up. Total cook time about 18 hrs at 205-210* on the second rack from the top. Took them to IT of 190* and FTC'd em for 2 hours before pulling.

I just made a batch of red skinned potato salad, having all this for dinner tomorrow. Put the bones and some bark into a bag in the freezer. That'll come in handy when I get in the mood for making some white bean soup some day.

Oh yeah... and that wooden skewer sticking out of the butt on the right, that's what I use to plug a quick-read thermometer hole. Keeps the juices from running out.

classicrockgriller

I like the part where Ka Honu said take a Valium. ;D

DTAggie

Welcome Max - you don't have to have a PID, just smoke a big BUTT and you can sleep like a baby

KyNola

And stop tinkering with the vent.  Open it and leave it that way.

Habanero Smoker

I always adjust my vent, but I still only use the water bowl that came with the Bradley. Adding large amounts of water; whether you are above or below the "V" (drip) tray, is like cooking chicken with the skin on; there will be a lot of water vapor. So in that case it is best to leave the vent wide open.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TestRocket

Nice job on you butts there Max. I used my PID for the first time last week on a butt and watched over it until 12:30 AM (just to be watching). I waited to see it turn off the SG and it was holding 200 degs so well I went to bed. I got up at 5:30 and it was still holding at 200 so I went back to bed. LOL Don't tell anyone but just about make this to easy!