DBS4rk'r time to cook too long?

Started by waterkc, July 12, 2010, 12:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterkc

Hey there fella's, and lady's.

I have done a few things now on the smoker and have some questions.

I did a 6 lbs Brisket yesterday and I think maybe it took way to long. I did on the top rack, it was at 220℉ and It took 16 hours too get to 185 which is where I took it out. Ambient out side was about 80℉ most of the day then down in to the 60℉

So is that normal? and I ask this cuase I have a buddy with another smoker that tells me wow that is a long time. Shouldn't take more then 9 hours for that size of meat. So what am I doing wrong?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and loose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln."

classicrockgriller

I think maybe your shelf placement hurt you some.

If that was the only thing in the smoker then the top shelf

might not have been the place to do a whole smoke/cook.

Others may have different thoughts, but I would have used

the second from the bottom or the 3rd shelf.

When I smoke/cook multi things I start with 2nd from bottom then

3rd, top next and bottom last.

But all that will depend on what you are cooking.

If I was doing two racks of ribs, I would use the second and third shelf.

RAF128

Sounds about normal to me.    I've done a similar size brisket and it took about that time, maybe a little longer but I took mine to 195.    I did a pulled pork that size a few weeks ago and it too 22 hrs.

ArnieM

Yeah, that sounds a little long.  I usually figure on 1.5 hours/Lb or a bit more.  I usually go with one shelf down from the top now.  My first was on a lower shelf and the bottom got kinda burned and crispy from the direct heat.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

GusRobin

Its done when it is done. When you say you cooked at 220*, based upon what temp probe? Did you have one near the meat.
I don't have a digital, but use an OBS with a pid. I never go by the door thermometer. The PID probe is mounted on the back wall (going to plug that and buy a hanging one) so I also use a maverick probe just underneath the meat. Depending what I am cooking, I can sometimes see temp differences of 5 -15* betwen the PID probe and the maverick. So I go by whatever the maverick probe reads. If the pid is set at 220* and reads 220*, but the maverick says its at 210, I will reset the pid to 230* or whatever I need to get the maverick to read 220*
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

waterkc

Thanks for the comments gents. I am going to be doing a full cabinet of Prime Rib in the week with some friends camping and I was getting nervous that I might not have the time to get them done. They are only going to 125 IT and then sit for a bit. So I am sure it will be fine.

I am going to adjust the rack next time to a lower position. Since it was in the there with some Fatty's I had them in the 3rd from the bottom and the Brisket on top, since I didn't want to scorch it. Next time I will move the brisket to the second from the bottom once the fatty's are done. That should help kick it up a bit. I again understand low and slow, but that seemed a bit long to me. I have the heating element to add I have just not gotten around to it yet. I don't have the wire and spades, I need to go look at CaptainKM's to see how he did his. Might be able to get that done before I leave tomorrow. That would help me get up to temp etc.

thanks again.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and loose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln."

ArnieM

Your plan for the rib sounds good.  Let it rest for a while and it may go up to 130 - a good medium-rare.

Low & slow works well on beef roasts of any sort.  You get a more even temp throughout rather than well done on the outside and raw on the inside when done at higher temps.

Have fun camping.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.