1st candied salmon done!

Started by chiroken, July 23, 2010, 10:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chiroken

Thanks for all the advice, first 15lb batch of Nootka Sound Spring is done and sampled....very tasty, I think my girls loved it more than the beef jerky!

Followed Kummok's recipe (teriyaki) and with 1/2 the cayenne, don't taste any heat so will do full amount next time. Didn't add ice, sat in fridge 28hrs, no excess salty flavour at all (another post debated percent solutions adding ice etc, I didn't use ice which would make my brine even saltier and it brined for 28hrs to boot).

Rinsed and racked wet for pellicle formation 24hrs. Smoked total of 10hrs for thickest pieces, will definitely make them thinner next time around to cut smoke time. Used maple for 2 hours of smoke. Basically it was: 120^ 2 1/2 hrs, 140^ 4 hrs, 170^ 3 1/2 hrs. I wanted to either sprinkle with brown sugar or baste with maple syrup, couldn't decide, so did both ways! Did this at the 3hr mark. Not all the brown sugar melted, was sure it would once put to 170^ but it didn't, any suggestions/reasons for this???

Will try posting pics...

Racked for pellicle formation, whipped up this little rack system out of scrap,worked really well.

Pellicle formed, ready to smoke, 8 racks doubled up for my 4 racker.

Finished, minus several "tasters" to make sure it wasn't poisonous ;)

This is the brown sugar glaze showed incomplete liquification. Left the sugar "crust" on to vacuum pack.

Maple syrup glaze

The end step (2nd to end step, end step really is the eating part)

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Kummok

If this is your "first time", you're off to a GREAT start, Chiroken...that's some very fine looking salmon!!

Brown sugar melts at around 160°C / 320°F......way too hot for the fish. If you really want a top glaze, try lightly caramelizing the brown sugar in a pan and brushing it on after pellicle forming .....I also did a batch (by mistake....my wife was helping me by making the brine and misread the brown sugar bag.  :-\ ) that turned out very glazed by doubling the brown sugar in the brine and not rinsing (I never rinse the salmon after brining....my own personal tastes).

Tenpoint5

BRAVO!!! Well Done Indeed. Looks like some mighty fine salmon for a 1st shot out of the gate.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

chiroken

Good to know about the T required for the brown sugar, explains why some didn't melt. On some pieces it did fully melt. I'm guessing the thicker areas of brown sugar were what didn't fully melt. Certainly didn't affect the taste! I just left it on and vacuum packed it anyways. Pretty sure guests won't complain, especially once they taste it.

Brushing on the maple syrup was too easy, the plan was to brush it on, leave it long enough to harden, then flip the fish over during a rack change and do the other side. Ended up away for a bit and never got the chance. Don't know if flipping is required, I probably could have just rebasted over the 1st layer.

Sure would like to know what the local grocery store candied salmon has on the outside (not made locally). It comes in chunks fully coated with a fairly dark, slightly sticky coating on it.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

KyNola

WOW!  That salmon looks great.  Congrats on a great smoke.

StickyDan

Oh good, you made enough for the whole class.  Guess you're on your way to the post office to mail out some samples to all your new forum friends. ;)

monty

nice stuff chiroken!

good job on that little rack system, too. need to rig me up one of those jobbies...
Bradley Original Smoker BT1S1
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070
Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Fryer 10101480
Napoleon Ultra Chef UP405RB

Smokin Soon

I wish I could slam a rack like together, I'm not too gifted in that department. That is some very beautiful salmon!

chiroken

The drying rack worked great and came together pretty quick. A dab of wood glue and a brad nailer makes the job easy. What I did before that wonderful little compressor nail gun I don't know :-). If anyone is going to make one remember to leave enough space between the supports to allow you to double up your racks. At least consider that regular racks hang down, your inverted racks project up, need enough space so they don't collide.

Thanks all for the thumbs up, I now have a great reason to be bringing home more fish rather than releasing. I think this smoked salmon will become addictive. Looking forward to August to try some whole pink fillets, taking a whole vacuum packed side over to friends will get me front row couch seats for the game! I hope there'll be some around, I believe it's an off year this year for pinks around here.

Can't remember who was asking for some to be sent out...pick up only ;)

TestRocket

I've got a BIL in Alaska and he fishes a lot, now all I need to do is get him hooked on a Brakley!

stillsmoking

Very pretty Chiroken!  Amazed it made it to the freezer.

watchdog56

tsquared

Looks good Chiroken! I heard Nootka was still a little slow, but it can't be that slow, judging by your pics! I did a batch last week from a couple of springs I got on Monday down here in Sooke--it sure does evaporate fast!
T2

chiroken

We were there the weekend before the one just passed and it was hard work fishing. Most did not do well at all...0's and 1's for most boats per day. We hit our spots, watched carefully when we did see a boat on a fish and put together the right combination. The 3 of us in 3 days brought home our limit (4 each). Even released a couple of fish much to the dismay of neighbouring boats! The fish weren't all big, from 9-24lbs. When we had our 11th fish we decided to release unless it was over 20. Then that night we ate one so the last morning we had to hook 2 fish, both nice at around 15 & 18 lbs. I would think it has picked up by now up there, not sure if I'll get back up or not, hopefully :) though.

Just got home after buying a used kicker so now I have a trolling motor for my 18' bowrider ski boat/trying to convert into a fishing boat. The conversion is going so-so. Learning the challenges of trying to have a multipurpose BOAT (Bring Out Another Thousand). Now I need a custom kicker mount and 2 custom downrigger mounts and I can fish the Comox Bay locally.

tsquared

Good for you Chiroken! I had an invitation to go up to Nootka this year but it doesn't look as though I'll get there. Sooke is starting to pick up as is Port Renfrew, where we plan to go for a few days in early August. I hope you get your boat set up the way you want--we just brought an Arima up from Georgia this spring and we have just about got it set up the way we want. The only thing I think we need to add is a radar--this year has been the foggiest July on Juan de Fuca I can remember--and we're not even into Fogust yet!
Good luck fishing!
T2