? >>Multiple Mavericks

Started by Kummok, June 16, 2005, 05:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kummok

Looking around the forum, I haven't seen this issue come up with the Maverick ET-73....If you operate 2 or more ET-73s, are there any problems with transmissions since they all operate on the same frequency?[?][?]

I'm FINALLY breaking out of the "Salmon Only" mode of smoking [:p] and want to buy the Maverick. Then I got to thinking about having two operating at the same time and wondered if that was a problem. I asked Maverick, but got a HUH?? sales pitch answer from the nice secretary of somebody...now I'd like to hear from the REAL pros: the Bradley forum smokers...anyone use more than one at the same time?

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

nsxbill

You could bite the bullet, spend some of that new boat money, and buy a procom4 BBQ Guru and you can not only monitor multiple pieces of meat, but also monitor 2 cabinets and auto regulate two BS at once if the load is similar.  Checked w/BBGuru owner Shotgun Fred, and the Raptor will handle the watts for two units.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Habanero Smoker

I'm surprised by their response, they seemed to be knowledgeable of the products they sell.

I'm not positive, but I believe that they would interfer with each other. I recently installed a wireless network, and had to change the channel, because it was interfering with my neighbor who was using a channel close to the one I was using. So it doesn't have to be the same frequency, there are times the frequencies only need to be close.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Kummok

Bill:
I'm perpetually remodeling the place here and $$ is too tight to justify the Binford 5000 controller so far...and NO dipping into the "bigger boat" fund either[;)]

Hab:
I stuck with it and asked for clarification on their first unintelligible answer and they confirmed that I should have no problem IF I started/calibrated each unit seperately, rather than at the same time. I'm still a little skeptical but I'm ordering two so I'll soon know for certain!

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

Habanero Smoker

I'm sure they gave you the right advice. Every time I have called or sent an e-mail they were on the money.

Your question was probably a new one. I would not put it past them to do an experiment to see what would happens when two units running side by side, so they would have the answer next time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Kummok

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Habanero Smoker</i>
<br />...
Your question was probably a new one. I would not put it past them to do an experiment to see what would happens when two units running side by side, so they would have the answer next time.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

In my several business ventures, I do the research BEFORE giving any answers....just one of the many quirks of being a linear thinker..[;)][8D]

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kummok</i>
<br />...If you operate 2 or more ET-73s, are there any problems with transmissions since they all operate on the same frequency?[?][?]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Interesting question Kummok, but my first response is why?  I assume that the ET-73 is the dual probe unit and I don't know why you would use more than one.  However, if you were doing different meats and needed to pull them at different temps, I can start to understand.  What I would do in that case, is for the odd smoke that requires 4 probes, I would watch it manually and not use the remote temp reader if you have any concerns about them messing each other up.

Sorry if I'm off the mark here, I don't have a Maverick, I have a cheap single probe, so maybe I don't know exactly how they work.

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Kummok

WTF:
I plan to use one probe for meat and one for interior.....ET-73 gives me the advantage of monitoring smoker temps at a distance, since I step up my temps at specific time intervals when smoking salmon...

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA