Newbie...Couple questions from the virgin smoker

Started by Rudyfo, July 27, 2010, 02:44:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Pigfat

That's why living in Ohio is equal parts great and suck. No food bias to narrow the field of options as far as technique style and flavor go, but then there's a ton of mediocre food because there's no identity or passion resulting in nothing but chain restaurants and buffets.

DTAggie

I have been away a few days and felt like I opened up and dribbled at the mouth on my post.  Then Caney sums it perfect.  Try, TRy and TRY again.  Experiment.  That is the fun part.  Always an excuse to smoke..because you want to make the next one better!

hal4uk

Quote from: TestRocket on July 28, 2010, 06:37:41 PM
Nice dodge Caneyscud!

I came in fifth of five (with beans). There were two judges and it turned out not to be blind. I named my chili "Bama bowl of red" and the judges were Auburn grads (I didn't know in advance). I made two gallons and the other four made that amount or less. Every drop of mine was eaten (maybe 30-35) and I had more then 10-12 tell me I would win. Yea! If I had of called it a bowl of war chicken (eagle) and not been decked out in crimson...? Anyway, it was fun and I learned a lesson about showing your true colors to early!

I hear ya.  That loyalty thing will mess ya up sometimes.
But, I've got KyBlue in my veins. 

Of course, I feed those veins from a bottle with red wax on it.
Ain't That Weird?

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

DTAggie

Are you promoting main lining straight to the veins Hal?   ;D

hal4uk

Quote from: DTAggie on July 28, 2010, 09:45:12 PM
Are you promoting main lining straight to the veins Hal?   ;D
Oh my...  Goodness gracious... no...
Heck, if I wuz gonna promote something...  Well...
You do know my kids are on EBay, right?  No Reserve!  Come one, Come all!!!  Step right up!!!

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Caneyscud

Quote from: hal4uk on July 28, 2010, 04:38:39 PM
That's it!!!  I knew it!... The beans in my chili are vexing my briskets!!!
You know Hal, that may be one of the truths - deep truths that I mentioned previously!  Just sayin'!   ;D ;D ;D
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Caneyscud

Quote from: TestRocket on July 28, 2010, 06:37:41 PM
Nice dodge Caneyscud!

I came in fifth of five (with beans). There were two judges and it turned out not to be blind. I named my chili "Bama bowl of red" and the judges were Auburn grads (I didn't know in advance). I made two gallons and the other four made that amount or less. Every drop of mine was eaten (maybe 30-35) and I had more then 10-12 tell me I would win. Yea! If I had of called it a bowl of war chicken (eagle) and not been decked out in crimson...? Anyway, it was fun and I learned a lesson about showing your true colors to early!

Around the part of the country I growed up in - we called it maroon and it was/is a more beautiful color.  And both Hal and I want to thank you for stealing our football coach back in '58.   ;D ;D  

Since my blood is maroon, I don't take no cotton to orange- any type of orange, but especially burnt orange.  One of our assistant pastors wore a bright orange tie to church last Sunday.  I told him it was the ugliest tie I had ever seen!   ;D  Color may be one reason I like chili so much.  A well made chili is such a beautiful deep maroon - it does my heart good!  However, recently found out that there is at least one time chili was not the wisest choice.  If you are 53 y.o., the temperature at 98 with relative humidity hovering around 90% and the sun beating down with no clouds in site - a can of chili is not the best pre-softball game meal, especially driving down the road having to "drink" it because of no spoon.  Didn't sit well.  FWIW - the can was Hormel "no bean" chili.  

Showing your colors early in Central Texas was definitely a problem on more than one level when in contests or even in a job search.  There is some intense rivalry between towns, as well as the Aggie - tea sip rivalry and back then - the Cowboy - Oilers rivalry.  

I knowed and worked with a war chicken once!  He got an undergraduate degree from that thar other Alabama school - it was probably the funnest (is that a word?) 9 years of his life!

Caneyscud

Quote from: hal4uk on July 28, 2010, 08:53:48 PM

I hear ya.  That loyalty thing will mess ya up sometimes.
But, I've got KyBlue in my veins. 

Of course, I feed those veins from a bottle with red wax on it.
Ain't That Weird?

Maybe that's why I was partial to deep tannic red wines  -  such a purdy color of maroon!  But then I also liked luscious and buttery Chards and they have the color of ......uhhhh.....hmmmm......post-coffee........uhhhh.......stuff that gets flushed down a urinal........! 

DTAggie

classicrockgriller

Someone told me the difference between burnt orange and maroon was ....

The burnt orange school has a state library sitting on their front lawn.

The maroon school has a golf course on their front lawn.

Caney must play Golf! ;D

Caneyscud

CRG, not many people know about the golf course.  Don't play, but I did take a golf class and played that year.  Only 50 cents to play and that included club rental.  I fished, drank beer, and went dancing more than played golf!   Had a couple of good lakes and rivers not all that far from campus.  Dance halls and beer were ubiquitous - the problem was finding girls that would dance with me! 

Other things maroon had that burnt orange didn't - The vet school - when you drove passed you never knew what you'd see out in the paddock - horses, cows certainly, but zebra, elephants, giraffe, antelope, rhino were just a few!  We had the Dixie Chicken!  We actually had some smart people that graduated.  But most important, we had the heritage and deep pride of knowing that a lot of our graduates defend this country and that many have made the ultimate sacrifice for the freedom we enjoy.

Things the burnt orange has that maroon doesn't - Hippie Hollow and Chuy's! 

classicrockgriller

Caney, Was just funning ya.They are both great schools.

The Large animal hospital at A&M is nothing short of First Class.

Like I told you before, I have done alot of work at the campus over the

years and was always a fun place to visit.

I remember going to Watch Rice U play A&M back in the old SW conference

days with my Dad when they were still non co-ed and they never sat down the whole Game.

My drafting class in HS was taught by Mr Gerber (Class of '23). He probably got

more out of me than any Teacher in HS. Great Man.

I would have been proud to have gone to A&M, but when you are a poor boy, you go to Lamar U.