Bacon "on the bone"

Started by Smokeville, August 03, 2010, 06:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokeville

Has anyone bought pork belly still on the bone and left the bone on when making bacon?

Regards, Rich

oakville smoker

Rich

I usually have the bones taken off at the butcher then low and slow them like ribs
I am betting some restaurants who make pork belly sandwhiches cook it with the bone in and then slice for sammies
I am betting slicing bacon off a belly with the bone still in would be a challenge LOL
Let me know how you make out
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

Smokeville

Hey OS;

I've made bacon a few times and the last was with the bone, which I left on during curing and smoking. I removed them after and they are in the freezer. My wife will probably use them for soup, but I think there was a good bit of meat between the bones.... The bacon itself was wonderful.

Rich

oakville smoker

I think I will give this a try next time the ribs are a little anemic and dont have tons of meat on them
Good to hear you had great results
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

Habanero Smoker

The next time I purchase bellies I will ask the butcher to leave the rib section on.

I have made "Bacon on a Stick", by curing spare ribs then cooking them as you normally would. The taste was alright but nothing spectacular. Also I didn't like the texture that much.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smokeville

Hey Habanero Smoker!

I hope to sell this as a specialty item at our Farmers' Market. "Bacon on the Bone" has a ring to it, I think. I was at a Farmers' Market while on holidays a few weeks ago -- the town is at the hub of a very wealthy holiday spot --- and one booth that sells cured meats and sausages was re-selling home smoked slab bacon at a price so high I nearly fainted.

Since pork belly with the bone is a lot cheaper than boneless (at least here in Ontario) I think I can buy low and sell high.

Rich

StickyDan

Smokeville, let me know how yo make out the farmers market.  I have a few things I've been wanting to try selling at the FM.  You know, see if there's any demand and go from there.  I can just imagine making a living off of smoked stuff.  Can you say dream job or what?

Habanero Smoker

It sounds like an item that will sell very well. I am also located in an area were wealthy weekenders visit the farmer's markets nearby, I know that would be a hot item. If you can get bellies from an organic raised hog, you could demand premium price.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Smokeville

This morning is our first time selling. We have about 30lb of pulled pork, 15 fillets of smoked salmon, chicken breasts and thighs, turkey breasts and 10 pork tenderloins etc all ready to go. All smoked and vacuum sealed in little white trays.

Hard to believe but that pork tenderloin sells for $12.23/lb at our local Whole Foods, and $8/lb everywhere else. (We didn't pay that much). So we are pricing it at $15 each.

Rich

BuyLowSellHigh

Just curious, do you have to deal with the health inspectors and food prep codes?
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Habanero Smoker

All the foods sound good, you should do really well.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Smokeville

Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on August 07, 2010, 05:05:11 AM
Just curious, do you have to deal with the health inspectors and food prep codes?

Yes, we did. We had to have our cooking and storage areas inspected, including refrigeration. The inspector even took a peek inside the Bradley! Which, of course, was outside. He was very helpful and friendly.

Then, today, two inspectors showed up at the market as part of their rounds of the different Farmers' Markets, and checked out how were storing and selling.

All in all, dealing with them has been great.

Smokeville

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on August 07, 2010, 01:05:28 PM
All the foods sound good, you should do really well.

For today, salmon sold and pulled pork didn't. The reason? My wife was giving out salmon samples. Next week, we will concentrate on the pulled pork.

We also had a piece of salmon gravlax for people to try, even though we didn't have any to sell. It will be a big hit.

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.