Hickory Smoked Pineapple Sweet Baby Back Ribs - Southern Style

Started by SouthernSmoked, August 02, 2010, 06:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SouthernSmoked

Hickory Smoked Pineapple Sweet Baby Back Ribs - Southern Style

Hickory Smoked Pineapple Sweet Baby Back Ribs

Check out the nice smoke ring on these Baby Backs...

1 Slab Baby Back Ribs - wash and pat dry with a paper towel.

My wife purchased these the other day at Meijer's for $1.49 lb.

Remove the membrane for the back of the ribs. I use a screw driver that I keep with my cookware but you can using a butter knife or the stem of a spoon, whatever you can find.

It helps to use a paper towel when pulling the membrane off.

Next trim the fat off the top, leaving a little for flavor, and trim any excess meat that may burn to quick.

Next put your ribs in a bowl or tub, meat side down or bone side up, and cover with French's Mustard.

Turn the ribs over and repeat on the face or meat side.
NOTE: make sure to leave 1 tablespoon of the rub for the liquid mop mix.

Next turn the ribs back over and sprinkle your favorite rub on the ribs, "pat don't rub".

Turn over and Repeat, I will normally be a little liberal at this point. Pat gently to ensure that the rub adheres to the meat.

Cover and Frig for at least two hours.

Pull the ribs out of the Frig and let stand for 30 minutes while the smoker is getting hot.

This is my outdoor Smoke House. :0)

On this smoke I will be using Hickory as the wood choice.
Also I used Apple juice in the Drip Bowl instead of water.

I added about 3.5 hours of wood chips.

The bowl, filled with apple juice, will go into the smoker.

After spraying the rack I inserted it into the smoker on the second rest down from top.

My Bradley Smoker was at 275 when I opened the door and added the rack and bowl.

Place each slabs meat side up on the racks.
NOTE: I cut the ribs in half so that I could easily get them on one rack.
This may be my only complaint about the Bradley Smoker - the width of the racks.

I will cook these ribs at 225-250 degrees for about 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours.
Basting every hour until I finally boat the ribs.

This is liquid mop that I made out of Pineapple Juice, some dry rub, Balsamic Vinegar and minced garlic.

I prepared some corn-on-the-cob to put on the smoker the same time I prep the meat. I gently pull back the husks on each ear and remove the silk but not the husks.
Next - I placed the corn in a large container and cover with water. Let soak for several hours.
Next - I brush each ear of corn with olive oil and sprinkle with "Roasted Garlic & Herb" seasoning.

It has been 3 hours into the smoke and I added the corn to the smoker rest on the top rest.
Next at 3-1/2 hours I pulled the ribs out and moved the corn down one rest.
I then boated the ribs, face down, then added the remaining liquid mop that I made.

You can see in this picture that the corn is on the 2nd rest and
the Ribs are boated and resting on the third.

I left both items in for about another hour removed the corn to the grill and
pulled the top of the boat and laid the ribs on a second rack.

I left the ribs at the point for 20 minutes as I prepared the fries.

It's time!!!

Here are my ribs ready to come out of the smoker.

Here are the ribs without any bbq sauce.

Take a little of your favorite bbq sauce and just glaze your ribs on the top first.

Turn the ribs over and add a little sauce here too.
The reason I did the bone side last is because it is easier to see where the bones are to cut.
Here you can see a little of the smoke ring. I'm getting hungry...

Plated... Can you smell the Hickory and taste the smoked ribs and corn?

Let's eat!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Mr Walleye

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smoking Rebel

Hey I'm new to the Bradley family but man what awesome looking ribs...

I just received my smoker today and looking forward to trying some ribs.

I've been hitting the circuit for a few years now but back in April I was in a car wreak and won't be able to compete any longer. So I sold my Yoder Smoker "Santa Fe Trailer" that I just purchased.

Looking forward to corresponding with you all.

Thanks

watchdog56

Excellent job. I love Sweet Baby Rays Honey barbeque sauce also

monty

SouthernSmoked is quickly becoming one of my favorite new posters  ;D

great set of pics!
Bradley Original Smoker BT1S1
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070
Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Fryer 10101480
Napoleon Ultra Chef UP405RB

DTAggie

Mighty fine indeed SS!  Welcome to the forum Rebel Smoker.

SouthernSmoked

Thanks Monty and thanks to everyone.

Let's enjoy!!!

SouthernSmoked
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Smoking Rebel

Hey SoutherSmoke,

I used my smoker for the first time today and tried some baby-backs. I prepared these ribs just like I always have.

Steps
Got up early this morning and cleaned the ribs, applied mustard, applied rub, refrigerator for 6 hours, let stand for 30 minutes, got my smoker up to 250, I put the ribs in the smoker, waited 3 1/2 hours, wrapped in alum foil, hour later I took them out of the foil, then after adding a small amount of Jack Daniels's Barbecue Sauce and left in the smoker for 30 minutes.

They didn't look like the ones that you posted but they tasted great, and maybe that's all the matters.

I wished I would have taken a few photos.

Smoking Rebel

SouthernSmoked

Smoking Rebel,

First smoke, that's exciting, I can remember way back on mine. Chicken Breast - came out like jerky, I had a plumbing problem in the kitchen so I had to run to Home Depot while it was still cooking. Enough said...

I was awesome to hear that the ribs were great. What do you think of your smoker and what kind did you get?

Didn't I see that you stated somewhere about running the bbq circuit but a car wreck prevents you from doing so any longer? What happen if you don't mine I ask?

Hey welcome aboard...

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

TestRocket

Very nice pictorial there SS!

Is that a sort of shower curtain to keep blowing rain away?

I've started using my OBS on the back porch and that's a good idea!

SouthernSmoked

It sure is - good catch... I have a multiple side shape canopy that will not fit up tight to the house so I hooked a heavy duty shower curtain up on the existing rail that holds the screens up. It helps to keep the rain and snow off my smoker and frig.

Here it is...

My Out Door Man Cave
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

TestRocket

SouthernSmoked

Hey TestRocket, try it again - I may have been editing the text...
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Smoking Rebel

I was in a car wreck that has left me in a wheelchair. I've been doing bbq for sometime now but I couldn't use my Yoder Smoker any longer so I had to get rid of it. It was hard to do because it was delivered to me make in March. I had a handicap accessible outdoor kitchen built and they installed a Bradley Digital 4 rack smoker.

I will keep watching for your post, maybe I will learn something.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Smoking Rebel on August 04, 2010, 02:35:02 PM
I was in a car wreck that has left me in a wheelchair. I've been doing bbq for sometime now but I couldn't use my Yoder Smoker any longer so I had to get rid of it. It was hard to do because it was delivered to me make in March. I had a handicap accessible outdoor kitchen built and they installed a Bradley Digital 4 rack smoker.

I will keep watching for your post, maybe I will learn something.

Smoking Rebel Welcome Aboard! Sorry to hear about your accident, or should we say the speed bump in your life. It sounds like it slowed you down but it hasn't taken you out of the game. If you have any questions feel free to ask folks will trip all over themselves to help you out. Also if you have any questions relative to making your Bradley and your wheel chair more compatible. There is a forum member named Toker that is also mobilized via wheel chair. I am sure he would be more than glad to share some tips and tricks to help you out.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!