My first Post - Smoked Salmon

Started by SouthernSmoked, July 29, 2010, 09:12:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SouthernSmoked

This is a picture of the Salmon once it came out of the Frig after marinating for 24 hours.

I then put the Salmon on a rack for about one hour. This is about how long it will take to bring the salmon down to room temperature.

I added more seasoning.

My Bradley Smoker uncovered. On the right that is not a safe but my outdoor frig.

I then squeezed two slices of lemon on each salmon and placed them on top. This is for added flavor but also will help the salmon from drying out.

Here is the salmon inside the smoker before closing the door.

The salmon is ready but before I take it out I'm going to go inside and put some rice and green beans on.

Here is the salmon plated and ready to eat.

My Smoked Salmon!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

3rensho

Now THAT looks delicious.  Beautifully plated as well - the haricourt vert are a nice touch!  Very nice job.  What was the marinade?
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

oopseadaisy

Hi, I posted this morning about the wide variety of brine times, pellicle times, etc. Your product looks great, but it appears you only left it out of the brine for one hour before putting it in the smoker.  Most other recipes call for much longer times between brine and smoking.  Also, I didn't see how long you smoked or at what temps.
thanks jack

SouthernSmoked

I used Kosher salt, sugar, dill, black pepper, fresh Lime juice. I did a hot smoke - my smoker was controlled at 150 degree - then I inserted the rack on the second rest down from top - smoked for around 3-4 hours.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

DTAggie

Dang that looks good.  150* cooked it?

StickyDan

Wow, nice job.  What wood did you use?  Was the salmon dry at all?

Quarlow

Salmon doesn't need a lot of heat to cook it. I mean you can eat it raw if it has been handled well. Like on sushi. But it only needs to cook to the point of just the opaqueness (if that is a word) going away. As for the drying time before smoking, untill I came to the frum I never even heard of pellice. Dad always just took the fish out of the brine, gave it a rinse and a sprinkle of brown sugar and into the smoker it went.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

SouthernSmoked

No, it didn't dry out to my surprise - I had tried several recipes before settling on this method. I have a friend that works at a local smokehouse and suggested trying something similar. This was the best Salmon that I've done either on the stove, oven, grill or even a cold smoke. It was very tasty.

I'm going to try and smoke some Halibut this weekend - I've not tried it, any suggestions?
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

TestRocket

That's some good looking fish you got there!

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

DTAggie

SS, any measurements on the spices you marinated in?

SouthernSmoked

1/8 cup dried dill
1/8 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt or sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil - applied directly to the fish
1 tablespoons fresh lemon juice - applied directly to the fish

The last thing that I added was suggested by a friend, a total surprise to me - 1 tablespoon of pickle relish. I used sweet - and then sprinkled with some "Zesty Lemon Seasoning"
Next I stacked the salmon face to face and frigged over night.

I put some lemon juice solution in a bottle and sprayed as needed once it was in the smoker.

Thank you everyone for your comments!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Smoking Rebel

Hey SouthernSmoke

Where did you get those black racks? Looks like the spaces maybe smaller, my smoker only can with the steel racks only.

SouthernSmoked

They are non-stick-coated Jerky Racks that have a smaller mesh opening for smaller items.

You can try - Yard and Pool - they are good people.

http://www.yardandpool.com/
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Smoking Rebel

Thanks - I'm on the website now...