home made smoking timer / pid

Started by beefmann, August 08, 2010, 01:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beefmann

hello all, 

here is my new timer / pid controller

components include a box, auber timer, auber pid with relay, misc plugs.

components mounted prior to wiring

top is the timer which switches from the smoking  process to cooking

back mounting of plugs

labeled

side view of wiring

top view of wiring the smaller red and  white  wires are only to power the timer and pid and is  18  gage, other  wires are 14 gage for  main power and to heater , 16  gage to the  fan only

look close at the blue wire in the middle. the blue wire goes  to the cabinet plug for  the fan, also note the  red wire which goes to the  pid  relay input then to the  same cabinet plug on another  pin to control the heater.  on the  rest of the pins of the cabinet plug is 2 neutrals and  2 grounds. 

the  Auber pid  is  rated at  10 amps and will  handle 1200 watts
the  timer  is rated at  12 amps and will  handle 1440 watts ..  so any one running  2  500 watt heating elements  here is  a  way to control your  smoking and  cooking  process 

Quarlow

Nice job Beefmann. Are you going get some nice labels for the plug ins? Those punch labels look alright when done well.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

classicrockgriller

I applaude you.

I didn't see the plug in for the probes.

Do you feel like you saved anything or got more fearures by do it yourself.

Smokin Soon

You just go Beef!! what will that beauty do over and above an Auber dual probe for us electrical retards?

beefmann

on the back left,  the round plug is for the probe / thermocouple marked   "tc" as for the  way this  is wired  and programmed will do  a cold smoke for 3 hours  ( 4 hours including 1 hour to heat up the smoke generator )  then switch to cook and  set to cook for up to 36 hours ( theses times can be modified by the user ) also programmed in  elapsed time  if any one wants to keep a  record.

the top auber is the  timer .. the  bottom is a pid.

one reason i went for  cold smoke is the  configuration i have  makes the  smoke generator to cold to burn the  pucks properly so i do a cold smoke  then cook. this device  will  have its  first test  soon as Im doing some  maintenance on my smoker.

will post more pictures  as i get them through the maintenance  process.   

beefmann

SS this beauty will automatically change between a cold smoking process and the  cooking process  while we enjoy our family, friends and the  best for  last... a cold adult beverage on a hot  day making  the use of a Bradley totala no babysit process ( excluding  putting in the bisquetts and meat )

Smokin Soon

I will look foreward to the results. Sounds really cool! I would show up at your doorstep with my Bradley and a baggie full of parts, but that address crashed right? Doing good in the new digs?

Habanero Smoker

Nicely done. Looking forward to your test results.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

beefmann

SS doing good in the  new  digs, been just over  as year and like the home as well as  most of the neighbors,,,,  quiet neighborhood  which is  good