First smoke down and a special thanks to CRG

Started by SoCalBuilder, October 13, 2010, 05:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalBuilder

The weekend finally arrived and I was gonna be smokin' soon. Chicken seemed the logical first choice (inexpensive) and after roaming the forum I came up with my game plan. Seasoning went without a hitch; pucks fed fine, box got hot! The bird and other parts rested after spending the night in the fridge.

The breast, all 1.25 lbs was rubbed down with OO and then a coat of "Bone Suckin' Sauce" rub. The full bird got a simple coat of OO and salt, pepper and granulated garlic.

Time to cook! Loaded up a couple hours of apple bisquettes and then remembered I had the Auber PID to hook up yet. Damn! Chicken back in the fridge, crack a beer and start reading. Hunger, beer and my lack of patience got the best of me. I dropped both probes thru the vent and just used the PID for a couple fancy thermometers.

After hours of running back and forth playing with the OBS temp. slider and anxiously watching the IT of the breast...... Success!

Man were they good, but the PID dilemma was still there. I browsed the forum and didn't find anything that this old nailbender could understand. I finally wised up and posted my problem. In no time CLassicrockgriller got back to me and after some counseling and hand-holding, I think I understand how the thing works. I want to think I was overthinking it, but that may be wishful thinking.

Thanks again to CRG and the rest of the forum. I look forward to many more good smokes and posting.

classicrockgriller

WOW! You may not need a PID.

You hammered that chicken and breast!

SoCalBuilder

Thanks, but next time I won't be a Nervous Nelly constantly checking the progress.
THanks again for your help :)

kaskiles

OBS, Et-73, bubba pucks, frogmats; Merritt Island, FL

DTAggie

Welcome SoCal, those birds look great.  That monkey is very helpful.

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

TestRocket

KevinG

That's where my tic tac toe board went, give it back!  ;D Nice looking bird!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG