An old issue -- cleaning up the trays and pans

Started by Smokeville, August 08, 2010, 03:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Walleye

Hi Holtnotes and welcome to the forum.

Dryer sheets... Thanks for sharing that.

Although not really the science behind it, I found the following write up on this site, http://www.doityourself.com/stry/dryersheets

"Fabric softener sheets are claimed to clean baked on foods from cooking pots and pans. Place a sheet in a pan, fill with water, let sit overnight. Next morning sponge it clean. The antistatic agent apparently weakens the bond between the stuck on food between the pot or pans surface. The fabric softening agents helps to soften the baked on food."

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

SouthernSmoked

Hey Holtnotes thanks for sharing...

I tired this last night on a rack that I left in one of my smokers that had been in there since Saturday (Chicken).

After waiting about an hour or so went to the sink and it seemed to work without any scrubbing.

I will update this post later today with a few pic's if it works out with today's smoke.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

12AMNSX

Here's what works for me:

Racks
Put them in the sink with very hot water, enough to cover them completely, and dish washing soap.  Let soak for at least an hour.  Rinse them using an abrasive sponge to get off whatever is left sticking to them.  Place them in dishwasher.  Make sure you rinse any dish washing soap off so it doesn't end up in the dishwasher.  I have never tried dishwasher soap but will the next time around.

V tray
I use heavy duty oven cleaner from Costco called ProForce on the top side.  This stuff is industrial strength and works great.  Scrape anything that sticks after the oven cleaner.  Make sure all the slots and holes are open and clear.  I don't bother with the bottom side at all.

Water Dish
I use the oven cleaner on this as well.

Bottom Tray
Is made from aluminum so DO NOT use oven cleaner on it.  I just occasionally wash it in the sink and then put it in the dishwasher.

Rubber Gasket
I wipe this down with a rag using Simple "Soilent" Green.  Non toxic and guts the grease well.

Exterior
I use Simple Green to clean the exterior as well.

Interior Sides
I never touch this unless there is a big goober ready to fall off on my food.   :o

Heating Pad
I occasionally clean this off with fine sandpaper.

Heating Element
I just check it and the cover occasionally to make sure no food particles have fallen onto them.