Mods

Started by DADAKOTA, August 09, 2010, 11:55:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DADAKOTA

Do most folks add the 2nd element and PID to their smoker?

beefmann

it depends, i added 1- 900 watt finned heater and blower,,, im now doing some maintenance on my  smoker  wil have  some  pictures soon

car54

I would say that more people get a PID over the second element. The 2nd heating element is good if you really completely load the Bradley up with meat. Probably most people use the Bradley as is.

Brad

lumpy

I waited 2 years before I purchased a PID and another to do the 2nd element mod.

If your not doing fish or sausage, you won't even need a PID. THe 2nd element just speeds up the cabinet temp.

Lumpy

BigJohnT

I couldn't wait to get my temperature controller working for my OBS as I like to do jerky a lot and the slider and door temp fall short for low temps. It does work fine for larger pieces of meat at higher temps. I've never seen the need for a second element for what I smoke.

My temperature controller is the box on the side of the smoker.

A fan kit is nice to help keep the temperature more even...

John

DADAKOTA

Very nice.  I doubt if I am smart enough to do all the mods you fellers do.

GusRobin

if you follow the instructions on the forum, it is a piece of cake. And there are many that will jump in and help if you have a problem.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

TestRocket

Gus is right! If we don't already have a PIC to help explain what to do someone will take theirs apart and take a PIC to help out. So if you can use a screwdriver and a pair of pliers help is but only a question away!

Here is the link to my second element installation:
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=16299.0

Habanero Smoker

You can also check out the recipe site to find some of the modifications the others are speaking of.

User Modifications

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BigJohnT

Quote from: DADAKOTA on August 09, 2010, 01:25:14 PM
Very nice.  I doubt if I am smart enough to do all the mods you fellers do.

The fan kit is available from Scott.

John

York

I have been thinking about adding a second element. I cannot keep my cabinet temperature high enough, so I thought perhaps a second element would help.

I like the idea of adding a fan too. However, when it comes to electronics I am not quite up to par.

My question is can I add a second element to my DBS? I have just seen it added to a OBS.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: York on August 10, 2010, 07:11:19 PM
I have been thinking about adding a second element. I cannot keep my cabinet temperature high enough, so I thought perhaps a second element would help.

I like the idea of adding a fan too. However, when it comes to electronics I am not quite up to par.

My question is can I add a second element to my DBS? I have just seen it added to a OBS.

You can York!

Here's a link on how to by Mr Walleye (Mike)

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?572-Additional-Heating-Element-Modification
HawkeyeSmokes

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

viper125

My question is why cant you just take a wire from original 500 watt to another 500 watt. Place side by side and run wire from one end to same on other element on both ends. Is there room to mount in same reflector? Can you move the original farther to the side to make room in deflector. Really dont see a reason for the switch for me. I have  the OBS and a pid. Just want it for faster recovery.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Habanero Smoker

I not quite sure what you mean about moving the original farther to the side. The additional element is mounted on the same reflector. As to daisy chaining the elements, some have done this. If you have the OBS, I feel you are placing too much of a load on the temperature control; unless you by pass that controller.

The switch is an individual choice, just don't install it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)