Weekend rib smoke with Jalapeno Popper Apps -=PICS=-

Started by First State Smoker, August 10, 2010, 01:21:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

First State Smoker

With my heating element recently repaired, I decided to smoke some ribs last weekend. I had 2 racks from costco in my freezer for the last month just waiting.

I decided to make my own rub for the first time. I used Iceman's Oink'r Rub as a base and added cumin, coriander, and Splenda as a sweetener. Incidentaly, I found that the splenda worked just fine. Other than color, I couldn't really tell a difference between that and brown sugar.

All thawed out.

I like to use a mustard slather on my ribs. I must admit, it sounded a little strange when I first read about it on these forums but I find that it helps tremendously in bark formation.

Rub'd Up.

And into the smoker. I had the heating element running and was aiming for 225. I had a big econo-box of Hickory so that's what I used.

While the ribs started I got busy on the apps. Most of the jalapenos came from my garden and I augmented with some store bought. As you can see, they are just jalapenos, halfed, filled with creme cheese, and wrapped in bacon. Can't go wrong.

Extras going into a vacuum bag and freezer for next time.

I hit them with a 1 1/2 to 2 hour smoke and then into the oven at 350 for a while to crisp up. It's amazing how the creme cheese holds up. Simple and easy to make but so delicious.

Well, my newly fixed heating element quit on me after only 1 hour. Very bummed but I continued with a 4 hour smoke, then 2 hours in the oven at 250 wraped in foil.  :-[ I must investigate further this week.

And lastly, sauced and finished on the grill.

And finally, it's time for the yummyness to begin!

Hers...

Mine...

And we can even say that we got our veggies in!  ;D

mikeradio

Great Job, looks really good.

I wonder why you keep taking out elements?

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

DTAggie

First State Smoker

Thank you. Yes, it's quite frustrating about the heating element. The element and control switch are brand new and all the wiring looked ok. I wonder if my temperature cutoff sensor went bad.  ???

Tenpoint5

Looks good FSS Might I suggest the next time you do the ABT's hit them with a little of your rub as well.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ArnieM

Looks good and I'm glad you managed to work your way around the main heating element failure.  What model smoker do you have?

Cream cheese is interesting.  I 'cold' smoked some cheeses and the Swiss started to soften and melt but the cream cheese held up.

Good idea to take the toothpicks out before vac sealing  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

First State Smoker

Great idea to put some rub on the ABTs. I didn't think of that. I didn't actually remove the toothpicks before vacuum sealing. I just took a pair of dykes and clipped them. The only problem is that it might be quite a suprise if someone bites down without knowing.  :)

I have an OBS. The circuit seems pretty simple and I just can't beleive the thing conked out on me again so quickly. Hopefully this weekend I will get a little time to look at it. I do know that I had it directly in the sun and the back of the unit (along with all of the exterior) became very hot. Could this have tripped the temp sensor in the cabinet?

TestRocket

In the OBS the temp sensor will reset itself once the cabinet cools back down. Try heating it up again if it doesn't get hot I wouldn't think it is the element (fuse or control slider). On the other hand if it gets hot for just a little while and cuts out again I would think it was a bad sensor. Good luck!

Pachanga

FSS,

Smoking is all about adjusting to conditions.  Seems you have that down pretty well.  Very nice smoke regardless of the problems.  You have motivated me to pick some of my jalapenos and fire them up with some cream cheese.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga