Brisket Pros: How long does 1 brisket take?

Started by Ants, August 10, 2010, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ants

My first attempt at brisket will be this weekend.  I see many threads about starting at 9pm and having it finish the next day. But those examples usually they're cooking about 3 briskets.  What time should I start if I'm only cooking one 10lb brisket?  Can I do it in one day? 

Thanks all!

hal4uk

Well... (oops.. you wanted brisket "pros"...)  Nevermind...  ;D
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Ants

So I'm guessing about 20 hours?  Even though its just one?

Ants

I guess I should have been more clear... only those who have won regionals  ;) :D

Others need not reply JKJK

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

FLBentRider

Quote from: Ants on August 10, 2010, 06:33:30 PM
I guess I should have been more clear... only those who have won regionals  ;) :D

Others need not reply JKJK

I've never won anything, but never competed either.

I start mine the evening before, and they are usually done the next afternoon, 1 or 2, seems to take about the same time.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

DTAggie

Just so happens I have a 10 pounder....brisket that is in my OBS right now.   Started at 3:00 this afternoon.  5 hrs of Pecan.  Cabnet temp dropped to 180* when I put it in and was up to 220* in about an hour.  I will let you know.  I seem to get my done in about an hour per pound.  I am trying to slow this one down so put a pan with water on last rack as well as the one under the SG.  Posted a pic about an hour ago that showed the IT* was 161* and CT was 211* but the temp below the meat was reading 230* on another probe.

Just checked and the IT dropped after rotating and it is 152*

Roget

Read my post, "Brisket stuck at 145", especially my last post.
This was also my first brisket, so as you can see, expect the unexpected!
YCDBSOYA

classicrockgriller

DTAggie

Well I was trying to be helpful Sonny!  Such a monkey

Ants

Hey aggie let me know how it goes!  I was going to go overnight I guess and see how it goes. I guess im hesitant b/c with 3 briskets i imagine temp recovery will be slower while I sleep.  I fear for it becoming too hot overnight. 

DTAggie

Mine is only one brisket like yours and the cabinet temp is holding right at 210* where I want it overnight.  I have no PID and it seems to always hold good for me.  If you put it in at 10 with 4 hrs smoke then empty water and pucks and put new water in, then maybe watch it another hour to make sure temp is right you can sleep rest of the night.

Just depends on how late you want to stay up.  I have done several where I do 4 or 5 hrs of smoke staring about 9, immediately change water and leave my controller all the way up and when I get up about 6 AM cabinet at most has ever hit 250* really no big problem.

DTAggie

Stay tuned Ants.  I think you have a good plan.  I had lots of freedom with mine as I have the luxury of being around the house most of the week with a few meetings here and there.  If you have a strict schedule, stick to your plan above.

Caneyscud

Never cooked 3 briskets in a Bradley.  I reserve that special treat to the big stickburners.  So can't say how the Bradley will behave with 3 in it.  But with one - it takes me usually between 1 and 1.5 hours per pound with the DBS set at 230.  Same with the stickburners maintaining about 225.  Either 1 or 12 briskets - usually 1 to 1.5 hours per pound. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

ArnieM

I seem to go about 1.25-1.5 hours/Lb at 220.  Recently I've been pulling them at 180-185.  They seem to come out more moist.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.