Brisket Pros: How long does 1 brisket take?

Started by Ants, August 10, 2010, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTAggie

Ants, woke up at 6:00 and IT was 190*.  I prefer to FTC at 185*.  So at 6 this morning it was a total of 15 hours.

Ants

DT: let me know how it goes.  I think I may adjust and put it in at midnight and hope for more sleep.  My biggest fear is being unable to wake up at 6am.  If its 10 hours and its done i'd rather that be closer to 10am  :D

SouthernSmoked

Briskets normally will go about 1.25-1.5 hours/Lb at 220-225.  Pull once the IT reaches 185-190.  Let rest for 20 minutes, trim and slice thinly against the grain.

Make sure to update us with a few pic's
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

DTAggie

Check my post on this brisket for pics.  It tastes good but is a bit dry.  190* IT is too nuch in my opinion.  185* is ideal

Habanero Smoker

You may want to take a look a Pachanga's method of smoking/cooking multiple briskets in the Bradley.

Brisket Pachanga

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Ants

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on August 11, 2010, 01:26:16 PM
You may want to take a look a Pachanga's method of smoking/cooking multiple briskets in the Bradley.

Brisket Pachanga

Ya thats what I was referring to when I saw lots of threads about multiple briskets but none about just one. 

I think I'm going to try it with fat down so it blocks any direct heat.

Ants

Hey guys... if i put in 4 hours of smoke (lately most recipes taste too smokey for me  ???) Can I leave the smoke generator on overnight?  Or do I need to wake up to turn that portion off?  Since there will be that one last puck on the burner.  Will it auto turn off when it senses it has no more pucks to advance?

Thanks

FLBentRider

Quote from: Ants on August 13, 2010, 06:04:30 PM
Hey guys... if i put in 4 hours of smoke (lately most recipes taste too smokey for me  ???) Can I leave the smoke generator on overnight?  Or do I need to wake up to turn that portion off?  Since there will be that one last puck on the burner.  Will it auto turn off when it senses it has no more pucks to advance?

It will not turn off by itself. I use 3 "bubba pucks" "puck savers" aluminum pucks to push the last one off.

You are going to want to empty /refill the water bowl at the four hour mark anyway.

I usually leave my smoke generator on for the whole cook.

If you want to back off on the smoke, go for it, it's your food.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Ants

Sounds good! 

My plan of attack is to start it at 930ish... and check up on it around 2ish (hopefully 4.5 hours of smoke) then I'll refill water and let it cook the rest of the night.

NePaSmoKer

Have to go with caney on this. 3 briskits and you will be eating sometime on monday  :D

DTAggie

Ants

Quote from: DTAggie on August 13, 2010, 08:11:20 PM
Leave the SG on to help maintain heat

okay so at 2ish I'll push off that last briquette then leave it on till morning

woot

Ants

2am and my brisket is at 132F... got a ways to go :)

Ants

Exactly 12 hours into it IT temp is 155F OBS stayed put around 221F all night.  It got up to about 245F after I posted so I brought it back down to 221F around 330am.  Its been there ever since.

ArnieM

The time sounds reasonable enough.  I'd figure on at least 14 hours and then an hour or two of FTC.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.