Brisket Pros: How long does 1 brisket take?

Started by Ants, August 10, 2010, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ants

Quote from: ArnieM on August 14, 2010, 09:15:55 AM
The time sounds reasonable enough.  I'd figure on at least 14 hours and then an hour or two of FTC.

woops realized I wrote it wrong. At time of posting earlier it was 12 hour into it.

14.5 hours now, IT temp at 162F and OBS is at 234F

looks like this one may be done around 3ish I'm guessing (with no experience lol) that would mean 18 hour or 1 hr 45 per pound

Ants

18 hours into the virgin brisket and i'm at 165F IT and 234F OBS.  If it continues at this rate I really dont know how long this is going to take.

KyNola

Sounds like your brisket stalled just like a pork butt.  Briskets will do that sometimes.

Patience Grasshopper. :)

Ants

Quote from: KyNola on August 14, 2010, 01:36:48 PM
Sounds like your brisket stalled just like a pork butt.  Briskets will do that sometimes.

Patience Grasshopper. :)

I'm going ot head to the store to buy some sides... Since I cant stand watching :) lol

KyNola

Don't forget the refreshing hydrating beverages.  Wouldn't want to get overheated you know.

Ants

Quote from: KyNola on August 14, 2010, 01:45:03 PM
Don't forget the refreshing hydrating beverages.  Wouldn't want to get overheated you know.

Thats what I meant by sides  ;)

Ants

Ahhh!  I think I screwed up by putting the brisket on the top rack... shoulda put it on the 2nd from the top rack now that im reading all these threads.  Probably why my brisket is taking so long.

20.5 hours in and i'm at 171F.  I just want to hit 180 by 7...UGH.  Doubt it will happen

DTAggie

It will climb fairly quick after getting past the stall.  But yes, if brisket is all you are doing, I would use second from top.

Ants

It actually did the opposite.  Around 7ish it started dropping it got up to 173F then it started going back down to 168F.. I gave up and bumped up the temp to 300F and got it up to 178F IT then pulled it and hoped for the best.

DTAggie

I figured out your biggest mistake Ants.  You went and put that piss orange longhorn on your profile

DTAggie

hal4uk

Quote from: DTAggie on August 15, 2010, 08:23:45 PM
You know I am kidding....about the color!
[FACTUAL INTERLUDE]
No, he ain't.  He'll kill your family and your dog.
Awrighten.
[/FACTUAL INTERLUDE]
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Ants

DTAggie