boneless turkey breast

Started by EZ Smoker, August 10, 2010, 06:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ Smoker

I bought a boneless turkey breast (butterball, contains up to 20% of a solution, etc.) and I'm looking to smoke it, then slice it for sandwiches.   I assume it's uncooked (though it doesn't expressly say that) because it gives roasting and slow-cooking directions.

It suggests I cook it to an IT of 170, but I think I'm going to aim a little lower.  Thoughts?

I've never cooked one of these before, though I've done a whole turkey.     I'd like to cook the boneless breast and some turkey legs at the same time.   Does that work ok?  

I've got a day or two before I'm planing to do this.   Anything else I need to know about this before I start?
It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.

hal4uk

165 - but wait for STC's opinion...
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

monty

shining my 'bat signal' for squirtthecat...he should be along shortly  ;D

Bradley Original Smoker BT1S1
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070
Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Fryer 10101480
Napoleon Ultra Chef UP405RB

squirtthecat

I've done tons of these.     Put (frozen) in the fridge overnight, then thaw in a sink full of cold water for an hour or so.  You want it partially frozen so it doesn't fall into pieces.

Rub with whatever you like.   I've lubed them with EVOO and hit with some commercial BBQ rub.  Or anything. (watch the sugar content so it doesn't burn)

Try to loosen up the netting when you put it in the smoker.   This will save you some headaches later on.

Smoke at 250-ish (no higher than that) until you get an IT of 160°.   Pecan is my favorite Bradley wood for Turkey..   No more than 2 hours of smoke - or it will be a tad bit over the top.

Pull it out and wrestle the netting off.   Wrap tight in foil and let it rest (FTC or FTM) for an hour or so.

Slice and enjoy!

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

squirtthecat

It's all good!

The FTC/FTM time after 160 is key.   Otherwise you'll have some 'pink' in the middle, and some squeamish diners...

EZ Smoker

What?  So I leave the net on there?  I had no idea.  Glad I asked.    Thanks for the help.
It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.

squirtthecat

Quote from: EZ Smoker on August 11, 2010, 02:31:42 AM
What?  So I leave the net on there?  I had no idea.  Glad I asked.    Thanks for the help.

I'd leave it on for a bit to make sure it stays together... (otherwise you'll have trouble slicing it)

Maybe remove towards the end.

squirtthecat

If you do remove the netting while it is still frozen, truss it up with a bit of butcher's twine or some rotisserie ties..

But it really isn't that hard to get the netting off.

KyNola

I just did 3 of those under STC's direction and they turned out incredible.  You definitely need to leave the netting partially on as they have a tendency to fall apart into chunks otherwise.  I did as STC suggested earlier and loosened the netting all I could and then at the top and beginning at one end, I split the netting about halfway to the middle of the roast.

They are WAY good!

EZ Smoker

Thanks.   I followed STC's plan, using EVOO, then Lawry's poultry rub.   Then the wife decided to make a honey maple glaze like SouthernSmoked did in his recent post,   http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17391.0.  For that glaze she just used butter, maple syrup, honey, and dijon mustard, and she applied it about 20 min before the turkey was done.   Then she applied another coat of glaze as she was taking the turkey breast out of the smoker and into FTC.     

We cut a few thick slices for dinner with dressing and gravy and some green bean casserole.   But I'm looking forward to the sandwiches that come from what's leftover.   Gonna fridge it, then slice it thin tomorrow.  Boy, since I bought that slicer, we've been using it a lot.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: EZ Smoker on August 15, 2010, 08:26:16 PM
Gonna fridge it, then slice it thin tomorrow.  Boy, since I bought that slicer, we've been using it a lot.

Time to do a Home Cured Ham
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

SouthernSmoked

Awesome!!! Sammies tomorrow... sounds good.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

SmokeyDrew

What is the "ball park" smoking time for the turkey at 250 F to get it to 160 IT?  Just so I know how much time I need to give myself. 

Thanks in advance,

Drew

FLBentRider

Quote from: SmokeyDrew on September 02, 2010, 12:05:12 PM
What is the "ball park" smoking time for the turkey at 250 F to get it to 160 IT?  Just so I know how much time I need to give myself. 

Thanks in advance,

Drew

How big is the bird?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!