Vent open/vent closed??

Started by Roget, August 13, 2010, 10:55:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roget

I have read many posts suggesting the vent be at least 1/4 -1/2-to full open on all smokes.
Some suggest the vent should always be fully open.

I just acquired the "official" Bradley recipe collection. In reading it I found several of the recipes called for the vent to be fully closed during the smoking. (example: Texas Brisket)
I don't think it was a typo because I found at least 3 other recipes saying the same.

Your thoughts please.

YCDBSOYA

FLBentRider

I have not seen that recipe, but I would not run the smoker with the vent closed.

I have run it that way and I can assure you that the results are not what you are looking for.

To my knowledge there has not been a dialog between this Forum and the Bradley recipe writers.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KevinG

I don't think it's a good idea to ever keep the vent closed while smoking because the smoke will back up into the generator. The smoke can leave a gummy residue that will make the inner workings stick. Now once the smoke is done and cleared out, it wouldn't be as much of a problem.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Roget

Believe me, I trust the advice of those of you who have been smoking with the Bradley for all this time more than I trust a recipe writer.(possibly one who has never actually smoked anything)

Your experience speaks for itself.

I just found that interesting, and wondered if any of you agree with the writer's advice. I'll be the first to admit that I can only depend on the advice of others, because I am so new to smoking.
YCDBSOYA

classicrockgriller

I took my vent cover off so I wouldn't have to worry about checking it.

Here is a link to the vent position that is in the FAQ on the recipe site.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?488-Answers-To-Bradley-Smoker-FAQ-s&p=780#post780

KyNola

As the others have already said, I would never run the Bradley with the vent closed.  You need the moisture that will escape from whatever you're smoking to get out of the tower.  Otherwise, the moisture will condensate and rain this awful "black rain" on your food and will also run out the bottom of the door.  Know that from experience.  Moisture trapped in the tower will also hold your temp in the box down.

So in summing up, KEEP THE VENT OPEN!! :D

SouthernSmoked

I agree we everyone else on this matter - I don't believe it's a good idea to ever shut the vent damper close unless in storage. The damper on my Stainless Steel units are normally set 3/4 open.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

ArnieM

My vent is pretty much stuck open.  Like CRG, I'll probably just take it off.  The idea is to get the moisture out of the smoker.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

GusRobin

The only time my vent wasn't wide open is when I first took it out of the box. I leave mine wide open and when I do open my door, there is plenty of smoke in the cabinet.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

watchdog56

3/4 to full open here. don't need moisture building up in my unit and then backing up into my digital smoke box.

Habanero Smoker

I haven't read the safety precautions in the Bradley manual, but I believe I recall it states never operate your smoker with the vent full closed. So there seems to be a bit of contradiction between the manual and some recipes.

I would start by looking at the link CRG posted. From there you can determine which settings are best for you.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

DTAggie

I really have no opinion.

OPENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN