Books

Started by Fuzzybear, March 17, 2004, 03:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzybear

Anyone out there recommend any particular book on smoking? [?]

I went to the internet, was overwhelmed, came back here and posted this inquiry...hope that's not the case here (being overwhelmed)...

I'm thinking I want a book not designed for the novice - I have my smoker, I am comfortable using it and can pretty well access my brain for common sense stuff without having to refer to a book.  I guess I'm looking for one with different recipies; methods of smoking; sauces and rubs included along with wood (puck) recommendations.

"Smoke and Spice" seems to come up from time to time in the forum...

Thanks smokers!

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

trout

Smoke and Spice is definitely the top book for smoke cooking food.  Sublime Smoke is another excellent book by the same authors.  If you are interested in a wealth of info about curing and smoking different sausages and cuts of meat, then I would recommend Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas.  Avoid the Home Book of Smoke Cooking.  I bought this book a few years ago and it is severly outdated.   Read on[8D]

Let your trout go and smoke a salmon instead.

Bassman

Fuzzy I agree with Trout, I have both the books he mentions and they are a wealth of info. I highly recommend Smoke & Spice for recipes,sauces & rubs as well as cooking temps.There is a section where they suggest what wood to use on different meats.As I said, a wealth of info.

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Cold Smoke

My 2 cents- same as Bassman and Trout- Smoke and Spice and Great Sausages and Meat Curing - there's probably 1000 combined pages of info on these subjects.

Cold Smoke

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by trout</i>
<br />Smoke and Spice is definitely the top book for smoke cooking food.  Sublime Smoke is another excellent book by the same authors.  If you are interested in a wealth of info about curing and smoking different sausages and cuts of meat, then I would recommend Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas.  Avoid the Home Book of Smoke Cooking.  I bought this book a few years ago and it is severly outdated.   Read on[8D]

Let your trout go and smoke a salmon instead.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Ditto. Home Book of Smoke Cooking suggests it's OK to use corncobs, haven't tried it, doubt I will.[xx(]

What I do find interesting is the dated methods and pretty detailed sketches of old-world, custom smokehouse design. It's an interesting read but I might not use any recipes from it. But then again, I have over 100 cookbooks, including a 1934 one published by the "new" Crisco, in which everything contains........you guessed it.....Crisco.[:0] I recently got a copy of the Fannie Farmer book but have yet to read it.

Most of it is outdated, but every now & then, you find a gem. My rule of thumb on cookbooks is if you find 2 recipes in the entire book that you love, it was worth the price of the book.

Back on topic, a couple of other good reads are:

"Where There's Smoke There's Fire" by Richard W. Langer
"Paul Kirk's Championship Barbeque Sauces" by duh!
"Kill It & Grill It" by the Nuge

But if you only have one, it has to be S&S by the Jamisons.

Smoke On & Purchase Books[8D],

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Fuzzybear

Ok, I ordered S&S and Sublime...thanks guys!

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!