Ruh roh... going to fail first Brisket

Started by Ants, August 14, 2010, 04:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ants

I know I should have tested first and this is a prime example.

Got some friends coming over in 30 mins.  10# brisket in since 930PM last night.  Its been in there now for 21 hours and the IT is only at 172F.  Is it going to be a disaster if I pull it at its current IT?

TTNuge

Heat your oven up to about 300 and put it in there for the last hour or so until you eat.  Either way it won't be a disaster but if you can get the IT a little bit higher then all the better.

Ants

It spent the last 9 hours 155-170F.. I thought i had plenty of time including time to FTC.  That doesnt seem to be the case now.  I should have pulled it 2 hours ago and put it in the oven but I decided against it.

SnellySmokesEm

Be careful if you are going to put in the oven @ 300.  You could dry it out very fast.  Trust me on this one...  I have ruined a 10 pounder before.  Good thing I had pulled pork to go with it.
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

TTNuge

Quote from: SnellySmokesEm on August 14, 2010, 05:09:46 PM
Be careful if you are going to put in the oven @ 300.  You could dry it out very fast.  Trust me on this one...  I have ruined a 10 pounder before.  Good thing I had pulled pork to go with it.

Good point, I would only do so if it was foiled.

classicrockgriller

Send them on a scavenger hunt till the Brisket is ready! ;D

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Ants

Here we go:

10# Brisket from Sam's Club

The rub consists of just salt n pepper

Rubbed and ready to go into the smoker

After 22 hours in the smoker 4 hours of smoke got the internal temp up to 172F

Dinner served!

So overall, flavor was excellent maybe slightly salty I'll probably reduce the salt next time.  Outside was ont he dry side (I'm guessing b/c of the long time in the OBS?) Flat was tender but dryish.

Overall, not bad for first try.

hal4uk

Nice failure attempt, BUT --- and I don't mean to BRAG ---  I coulda messed it up a lot more than that!
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

KyNola

No failure seen at all.  Just a learning moment.  Looks good to me.

TestRocket

Chalk it up as a little more experience going to the next one and it did look good!

ronbeaux

It's like landing. If you walk away it's a good one. If you can eat it then it was a good one.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

pensrock

One question, where/how were you measuring the tower temperature? I'm just wondering if the temp the brisket was seeing was as high as you thought it was, thus causing the long cook time. Just a thought.
Also it cannot be called a failure, it was edible and does look good. I use salt/pepper and granulated garlic on my briskets.

DTAggie

Not bad at all Ants.  Go get another and try it again.  I too cut back on salt on my rub.

Ants

Quote from: pensrock on August 15, 2010, 01:15:22 PM
One question, where/how were you measuring the tower temperature? I'm just wondering if the temp the brisket was seeing was as high as you thought it was, thus causing the long cook time. Just a thought.
Also it cannot be called a failure, it was edible and does look good. I use salt/pepper and granulated garlic on my briskets.

I think that was my problem.  I was measuring from the bottom most tray with my probe sitting on that.

I had my brisket in the top most tray.

I also had let it cook overnight @ 221F (measured from 4th tray).  I was afraid of it being done while I slept.  What I should have done was bumped it up to 235F or higher through the night.