Mrs. Jan's Mac and Cheese

Started by TestRocket, August 15, 2010, 11:05:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TestRocket

I was asked for a copy of Mrs. Jan's hash brown casserole and mac and cheese casserole recipes over in another post so please enjoy.

Jan's Mac and Cheese

Ingredients:
4 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1 cups milk
1/2 cup each of 3 different cheeses; chunked or shredded  (I always use Sharp cheddar and Velveeta, and then any other cheese; Mozzarella, American, Jack...)
1/2 cup sour cream
2 eggs, beaten
4 cups cooked macaroni, drained
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Prepare cheese sauce
Melt butter; remove from heat. Whisk in flour, salt and pepper. Gradually add milk, stirring until well mixed. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth, add cheese. Stir until smooth and melted. Add sour cream; blend together.

Once the macaroni is cooked and drained, put macaroni back in the pot and pour in the cheese sauce. Mix. Pour macaroni mixture into a greased or sprayed casserole dish. Pour the beaten eggs around the top of the casserole, forking in to blend. Top with extra cheddar cheese and sprinkle bread crumbs (or crumbled cheese goldfish crackers). Bake for about 50 minutes.

TMB

Why didn't you bring this recipe to the cook off???????    LOL     sounds great, but Kimmie is on another protein diet!   :-[
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

TestRocket

If we can ever get together for dinner maybe it will be on the menu?  ;D

Up In Smoke

I did some Mac and cheese when i got home today.
not Jan's recipe.
I had some left over pulled pork that needed to be eaten sooooooo
i chopped it up and put it in the mac and cheese, y'all seriously need to give that a shot!!!!
i am about to bust :o
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

ArnieM

I got pretty close to the recipe.  I didn't have any sour cream and so went up on the milk and cheese. 

The "side dish" was some pan fried salmon fillets.  Wifey dug into the mac and left her salmon. 

Good recipe.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

TestRocket