Looking for candied salmon recipe

Started by RAF128, July 30, 2010, 07:32:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAF128

I bought some wild pink salmon today.    They're 2 - 3 lbs each.    I want to smoke them.   I've got Kummocks recipe but have read about candied salmon.   I can't seem to find it in recipe site.   Anyone steer me to it.  Thanks

TestRocket

I've never done what you are trying but I saw this post the other day and if it doesn't give you the information you need maybe you could ask "choroken" how it was done. Good luck!

bilder

I usually just take a basic brine and double up on the sugar.  Lots of guys I know also use Yoshida's marinade with great results.

One time I made a candy brine and added some pineapple juice to the mix along with the extra brown sugar.  I would tell you how it tasted, but my wife pulled it out of the smoker while I was at work and it somehow vanished before I got home. 

chiroken

I think the previous poster was referring to some spring I recently smoked. I used Kummok's recipe (1st time I 1/2'd the cayenne and chose teriyaki, full strength cayennethis time for my pinks that are currently brining).

Part way through the smoke I sprinkled some dark brown sugar on some of the racks and basted the other racks with 3/4 cup real maple syrup 1/4 cup water mixture. Not all the brown sugar melted, was suggested it wasn't hot enough for it to caramelize. Having some sugar on top was not bad in any way. The fish that was vacuum packed and then reopened had the sugar melted anyways.

This batch I'm only going to baste with the maple syrup (both the maple syrup and brown sugar tasted awesome) due to my laziness...easier to baste than spring all that brown sugar on (and the fingers don't get so darned sticky either  ;) )

This smoke is whole pink filets, skin on. No strips, no chucks. I like the idea of taking a whole filet over to someone's house rather than strips.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.