Dare I say......... Liquid smoke!

Started by Captainslug, August 24, 2010, 05:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captainslug

Is there a ratio or rule of thumb for the amount of Liquid Smoke to add to a dish if you cant smoke it.  I'm having my knee scoped tomorrow and I want to make some baked beans on Friday and I would like to know how much of the Liquid Smoke to add to have a subtle but smokey taste to them. 

Thanks to all who reply
Bradley Digital 4 Rack Smoker, 8 Std Racks, cold smoke adapter, 3 alum. pucks, 2nd element, circ. fan, Dual probe PID

classicrockgriller

Hope everthing goes good tomorrow and you are back getting some real smoke soon.

FLBentRider

Good luck with the knee.

That stuff is pretty concentrated, I would start with a teaspoon or two and taste it, adjust as needed.

I would go light, there is no "undo" button.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Quarlow

Ooooh did he say the "L" word. For shame. whispering in the background :o :o :o
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

BuyLowSellHigh

Good luck with the knee - no fun 'cept for the meds.   ;D

The rule is "to taste".  Just start easy and sneak up on it.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

RAF128

I've use liquid smoke lots of times, mostly with jerky that was destined to go into a dehydrator.   It works well.   Go very light.   It doesn't take much.   

Captainslug

It will be about a half gallon or just slightly more of home made baked beans.   Would a teaspoon be too much?   ???

Thanks for all the well wishes!   :)
Bradley Digital 4 Rack Smoker, 8 Std Racks, cold smoke adapter, 3 alum. pucks, 2nd element, circ. fan, Dual probe PID

leftcoast smoker

I'd start light 1/2 tsp and taste as you go, that stuff is a might bit powerfull
good luck on your scope, hope all comes out well

Gizmo

1 tsp is standard for the jerky recipes I have seen and they are only using about 1.5 cups of liquid.  Leftcoast has a great suggestion in using 1/2 and creep up on it.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

ArnieM

Hi CS,

I agree - go light on the stuff at first.  Let it cook in and taste it along the way.  You can always add more.

There's a recipe for baked beans in this post from "Smoke some":  http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=15529.0

I've done it a couple times and it was a real hit.  It might give you a couple of ideas.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.