Cold smoked bacon taking forever!

Started by IanB, September 03, 2010, 01:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IanB

Well I started smoking at 9 am (in england) and after 10 hours in my BD6 with the cold smoke adapter on
it is only very lightly coloured.
It was very cold when it went in - straight out of the coldroom, about 30-40 lbs of it, checked it at 7 30 pm -  only light smoke,
and intend resumeing cold smoke at 5 am.
How long should it take?

Many thanks    Ian

IanB

Gave it 16 hours of oak smoke in total and maaaaaaaaan is it gooooooooood!
Had a bacon sandwich off some belly and that was superb, took a joint home for
weekend tea and it is the best smoked bacon ever! IMHO

Ian

pensrock

Congrats glad it worked out so good for you.  :)

manxman

Quoteit is only very lightly coloured.

The bacon out of the BS is never as darkly coloured as the stuff you see in the shops, presumably due to the fact that some of the shop bacon is perhaps artificially coloured and / or it sits in a smoker a lot longer than required using a Bradley.

I typically use 8 hours for my BS smoked bacon and yes, it does produce the best smoked bacon!!  ;) :)
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

Air drying the bellies for a period of time prior to applying smoke may give you a darker color. If you want to keep the bellies cold prior to placing them in the smoker, you can air dry them uncovered in the refrigerator.

Also if you split the smoking time up, you will get a very dark color. When I make triple smoked bacon, it come out very dark. You could probably use the same technique except for day three keep the cabinet temperature between 70°F - 90°F to keep your bacon cold smoked bacon.
Triple Smoked Bacon

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)