Hi there from CT

Started by babyhewi, August 21, 2010, 05:53:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

babyhewi

Hi Everyone!
I just got my 4 tier electric smoker (not digital) last night. Brined a 7# butt overnight.  I am seasoning smoker as I type then off to the races.  Bought the Jim Beam biscuits.  Now HELP!!! Any and all advice welcome.
Thanks,
Tara

Uncle Pigfat

Vent wide open, no peeking, don't rush the butt because the butt will do whatever it wants, and drink while you wait.  You should be in for a treat.  I hope you're not planning on an early dinner if you're starting that butt around 6:00 am, especially if you have folks coming over.

Welcome to the forums!  We love pics of smoking adventures so don't be shy with the meat photos.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum babyhewi!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

babyhewi

Thanks for the quick reply.  I just started reading the threads and realized I have no idea what I'm doing.  So my most basic questions are these?  How many hours of smoke?  And is smoking done all in the beginning or do I put a few on and then let cook and put more on?  Also I'm shooting for ambient temp of around 200 unless I get diff advice.  I bought a dual sensor thermometer that I plan on using.  Do I fill the bowl half full of water and then ignore?  Newbie nerves thanks for patience.  I'm so excited too!!!!

FLBentRider

Most people use 4 hours of smoke on a butt. Some more, some less.

Your basic butt:

(optional) Brine the butt

Apply 4 hours of smoke @225F (OBS Slider on MAX for most of the cook) water bowl 1/2 full vent 1/2 open

At the four hour mark, empty, refill the water bowl, push the last puck off the burner if you don't have any "bubba pucks"

continue to cook @225F until an IT of 190-200F

FTC - wrap in foil, then an old towel, and into a cooler (no ice) for at least an hour.

Pull and eat.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

babyhewi

Ok.  think I understand.  And by push puck off you mean into water and use it up correct?  Can I tell you how excited I am.  I've been wanting to start smoking for a long time and finally jumped in.  I can already see my whole day is gonna be spent reading up on info.  Thanks again.  I'll try to post pics later.

babyhewi

Fat side up? Seems to make intuitive sense so fat drips over meat.

lumpy

Welcome Babyhewi

Here is a link on how to post pictures.

post pictures

Lumpy

SouthernSmoked

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum...Enjoy!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

KyNola

FLBR has you covered and yes, fat side up!

Congrats.  Totally understand your excitement.  I well remember my first smoke.  Don't think I slept a wink all night. :D

babyhewi

Thanks all!! I was all set to start my first smoke and realized all the biscuits hadn't advanced for the seasoning process so I'm forced to wait another half hour!!! Oh well.  Such is life.   

KyNola

One more thing, at some point the internal temp of the butt is going to stall, somewhere around 150-160.  It may stay there for several hours.  Don't panic and resist the urge to bump the cooking temp in order to make the IT start to rise.  When the butt is in the "plateau", that is when all of the magic is happening.  The collagen and connective tissues are beginning to break down and that is what makes the butt pullable.

Check in with us from time to time and let us know how it's going.

meatgeek

Welcome! 

There's tons of great information on this site.  You'll be eating well for years to come ;)

babyhewi

I'm officially off and running!! A few minor bumps in the start but hey all is good!!

squirtthecat

Hot dog!   Good luck, and keep us posted...  (take lots of pictures if you can)