Hi there from CT

Started by babyhewi, August 21, 2010, 05:53:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

And they're off!! 8)  Long day and night for you.  Somewhere between 14-16 hours is my guess.  It's worth it though.  One last very important pice of info.  It's very important that you keep a constant supply of firefighting liquids nearby.  Coors Brewery makes a good one.  You should keep one in your hand at all times just in case your Bradley bursts into flame! ;)  It's your responsibility to stay by your smoker the entire time so you'll just have to tell your spouse that you simply can't do that list of errands today. It's for everyone's personal safety.  Be sure to mention that you don't mind to sacrifice yourself. :D

deb415611

Welcome Tara,

Sounds like you are off and running!

Deb (also from CT)

babyhewi

LMAO!!! The best advice yet.  Wow I didn't know it would be 14-16 hours!!! Alton Brown said around 10.  Good to know for pacing of personal hydration.  I just might not make it into work tomorrow as I'll be up til 2 am!!! Oh darn!

squirtthecat

Quote from: babyhewi on August 21, 2010, 09:05:47 AM
I just might not make it into work tomorrow as I'll be up til 2 am!!! Oh darn!

Don't worry...   We'll write you a note.  :D

KyNola

Alton doesn't use a Bradley! :D  It may not go 14 hours, just depends on the pig.  It's done when it's done.  There is one option you can do.  After the smoke period, the Bradley is nothing more than a somewhat inefficient oven.  You could always transfer the butt to your house oven set at 225 for the  remainder of the time.  I have done that many times.  I place mine uncovered on a rack in a roasting pan.  I find that my house oven is much more efficient at maintaining temp.  The firefighting liquid is still a must though as pig fat can burst into flames in your house oven too. ;)

Have fun and remember, it's done when it's done.

As our good friend CRG says "You can't hurt it.  It's already dead."

classicrockgriller

Welcome and here's a couple of more links to help you out.

recipe site:
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/

You might want to check out our FAQ's
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=748#post748

Other than the long time of smokin/cooking a Butt, it is probaly one of my fav smokes.

There is just not too much you can do to it to screw it up.

You have got some good advice, but I do want to add two things.

The after smoke/cook is as important as the smoke/cook.

FTC is an important step in making a good Butt a great Butt.

When you reach your IT you want. Double foil tight, wrap in a towel or two

and set in a room temp cooler at LEAST three hours and up to 5 or 6.

Don't worry, If you have done the FTC proper, YOU will still have a HOT

Butt after 5 hrs.

One of the Hardest things to predict is a finish time and that is where FTC

will help you by starting in advance and using the left over time before eating

for FTC time.

The last thing is always slap your butt before and during the smoking/cooking,

that way it knows you love it. ;D

Again Welcome to the Forum and looking forward to some great pics.

DTAggie

Welcome Baby.  fat up in my opinion..Be patient!

KyNola

CRG,
Did you just tell Tara to slap her butt? :D

classicrockgriller

I was sorta talking about the Bst Butt.

I am sorry Tara if I offended you.

babyhewi

No offense taken!  Well it was a late night.  Finished up around 1 a.m. (didn't start smoking till 11:00 a.m.) but well worth it!  Thanks to all who generously shared their knowledge.  Much appreciated.  Pics to follow soon.

KyNola

Sounds like about 14 hours! ;) :D

TestRocket

Welcome Tara,

I can see you got some great advice and help in getting that first smoke behind you and I'm sure it turned out to be delicious. Congrats!

ArnieM

Hi Tara and welcome to the forum.  Also in CT here, near Danbury.  Show us some pics of your Boston butt.   ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: ArnieM on August 22, 2010, 09:39:38 PM
Hi Tara and welcome to the forum.  Also in CT here, near Danbury.  Show us some pics of your Boston butt.   ;D
Chicken!!! Come on Arnie tell us what you really ment!!

Welcome aboard Tara It is good to have some more women around to keep us honest. We already corrupted Deb and Carolyn.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Sailor

Welcome to the forum Tara.  I am sure you made some good eats.  When you get a chance to share the photos we would sure like to see them.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.