bradley bisqjettes

Started by annette b, August 21, 2010, 03:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

annette b

I'm baffled. First time using my BS, why are the bisquettes in the water? They are charred black but are in tack, not falling apart. Is this the way it works? I have 5 bisquettes in the water.
I am cold smoking salmon.
I am also surprised at how labor intensive it is to clean the BS, very disappointed in that.
Please advise
Annette B
FlyLady

Sailor

The Smoke Generator (SG) is designed to move a puck from the element every 20 min.  This keeps the puck from producing acid smoke.  The water puts out any embers and keeps the smoke fresh.  As for clean up, only clean your racks and V tray.  Do not try to clean the interior of the smoker as that is seasoning and is what gives you great flavors in your meat. 

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

classicrockgriller

With cold smoking salmon, it should have taken you around 30 minutes to clean up.

Put your V tray in the sink to soak.

Put the racks in the dishwasher.

Empty your water bowl and give it a rinse.

Wipe the door seal on both sides

Finish washing the V tray.

Fix a cool beverage, you are done.

Visit the link and look at post #6

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?488-Answers-To-Bradley-Smoker-FAQ-s&p=763#post763

NePaSmoKer

Clean V tray, racks and water pan.

Happiness is a crusty smoker...........................it smokes better.

Indy Smoker

If you are cold smoking, save the time and leave the V tray out - less cleanup.  The V tray is not necessary when cold smoking and without it you get a better smoke disbursement.

Indy Smoker

Another note - the bisquettes are not supposed to turn to ash, but rather smolder and move in to the water for a bath for a quick cool down.  They remain intact and are designed to stay this way.  You are doing fine, keep up the smoking and ask ask ask, that's how we all learn.

Quarlow

The only thing with not using the V-tray is if what you are smoking is drippy you may still want to use it to help keep the mess from getting all over. But for cheese or nuts Indy has you covered.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Wildcat

I would also recommend wiping down the door seal and the portion of the cabinet that it touches to prevent problems there in the future. Also periodically you may want to take the vent off and clean it up so that it does not get stuck. Lastly, try to blow out or shake out any loose wood chips out of the smoke generator after each use.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/