This was my 4th smoke and my 4th disappointment with my OBS.

Started by TheBoz, August 21, 2010, 07:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBoz

Here are my results from today's test.  I bought a 4.5lb pack of chicken thighs, 10 total.  Since I'm making dog food, I did not smoke brine or season, I just sat out for 30min while I preheated.

9:00am   start preheat, Dual probe Auber set to 225.
9:30    PID temp 220, Door Thermometer ?, Meat IT 55
10:10   PID 225, Door 190, Meat 118
10:35   PID 225, Door 195, Meat 138
11:08   PID 225, Door 195, Meat 154
11:38   PID 225, Door 195, Meat 158
12:06   PID 225, Door 195, Meat 163
12:57   PID 225, Door 196, Meat 170
1:30    PID 225, Door 200, Meat 174
2:00    PID 225, Door 200, Meat 177
2:20    PID 225, Door 200, Meat 180

total ~5 hours for 2lbs of chicken thighs (only 5 thighs), it should not have taken more than 2 hours.  I never opened the door and the vent was 100% open.  My theory at this point is the Auber temp is wrong, I have verified with ice and boiling water but there is no other explanation.  The auber and the door probes were at the same level, but were 30deg apart, I'm sure if I used the door thermometer and added 30deg to the auber it would have cooked in half the time.

Next experiment?  Take the Auber probe off the back wall and hang it next to the door thermometer.

Any other ideas?

mow_delon

I don't think the pid was wrong, but Get rid of pid.  don't really know how that will help, but at least you'll know if that is what is wrong.

Mr Walleye

Boz

I've been watching your tests and I thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

Maybe I'm totally out to lunch here but based on your times and temps in your lasted test.... I see your thighs were done in just over 3 hours. At least to the temps I would take them to (165). When cooking at a temp of 225 the IT takes a while to reach, it's low & slow. For thights you could run the temp up abit higher which would shorten times slightly.

The door thermometers on the OBS are notorious for being influenced by the vapour temps the meat is giving off because of their close proximity to the meat and also because the probe is usually above the meat.

In this test I didn't see where you had the meat placed. I usually use the 2nd rack up or 3rd rack up when smoking a small load. You want to have the PID cabinet probe just below the rack with the meat. I also prefer to have the probe more towards the front or centre but not at the back. With this setup your OBS door thermometer will be influenced by the cooling effect of the moisture the meat is giving off and will read lower. As the meat temp comes up the door thermometer variance will not be as great.

I have my Bradley modified with a 2nd element and a circulation fan but I still typically smoke at 225 and I control the temp from below the meat load. The additional element does help with temp recovery and large loads but the point I'm trying to make is I'm still cooking at the same temp and low & slow does take some time. Sure, you could cook it quicker but it wouldn't be low & slow.

I also do a lot of sausage and it's not uncommon for it to take 8 to 10 hours because of the low temps required.

Even if you used your oven set at 225 and cooked thighs I'm sure it would take close to the same time frame.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike

PS
I bet you have a happy dog!  :D

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smokeville

Quote from: TheBoz on August 22, 2010, 11:49:24 AM

Since I'm making dog food, I did not smoke brine or season...

Hey, you just broke your dog's heart. All along he thought he was a full member of the family!

TheBoz

The meat was on the top rack, I just tested the door thermo and the aubers in boiling water, the door was 5deg below the aubers, for what it's worth.  I too have a hard time beleiviing the Auber was just wrong, maybe the back wall mount is the problem, I took it out and will try hanging it in the front on my next $2 batch of thighs...  then post back.  Staying with the top rack this time so I'm only changing one variable.

Sailor

If you have your probe mounted to the rear of the cabinet I would think that you are getting a hotter reading toward the rear than you will at the front because the element is in the rear.  I put my PID probe about 4 to 5 inches in from the door and just below the meat. 

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Quarlow

Quote from: TheBoz on August 22, 2010, 11:49:24 AM
Next experiment?  Take the Auber probe off the back wall and hang it next to the door thermometer.
As soon as I read this the light bulb went on you have it mounted to the back wall which is one of the hottest places in the cabinet. I know some have also mounted theres but I beleive you shouldn't. The probe gets hot and then the Auber shuts down the heat so you will be cooking at way less temp then you really want. On your next experiment put 2 paper clips attached to the rack  and slid the temp probe into it so you will end up with the probe about 1 to 1 1/2 inches below the meat. Then see how it goes. Just a side note on my last smoke of an 8 lb pork butt I had my probe from the PID level with the door thermo and they read even threw the whole smoke/cook.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

classicrockgriller

Just had a nice phone chat with TheBoz. We are adjusting his food placement and probe locations.

Hopefully this will get him on the right track.

Mr Walleye

Alright Boz and CRG!

You guys will get that baby dialed in yet!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Sailor

This is another fine example how the pros help out those that need assistance.  Whoot!

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

TestRocket

This thread is an example of a long hard struggle with as many variables as there is advice! I have no doubt a solution will be found because of the experience within this group and their willingness to share it.

Boz don't give up on the OBS just yet!

TheBoz

Update:  second chicken thigh experiment.  The only thing I changed was the location of the PID probe, I removed it from the back wall, plugged the whole, and stuck it through one of the holes in my frogmat at the front of the rack.  Everything else was the same 5 thighs top rack, vent 100% open, Auber set to 225.

45min preheat to 225
4:30 PID 225, Door 215, Meat 70
5:00 PID 225, Door 200, Meat 116
5:45 PID 225, Door 200, Meat 142
6:30 PID 225, Door 200, Meat 150
7:00 PID 225, Door 200, Meat 156
7:25 PID 225, Door 201, Meat 162
8:30 PID 225, Door 202, Meat 177

It was finished the next time I came back.  Comparing the two smokes one with the PID probe in the back wall and one with it suspended off the front of the rack.  They were almost identical.  The probe location did not change cook time.  This says the probe location is not the issue in this situation.  I agree with everyone that says get off the top rack for a faster cook but with 2lbs of meat on one rack it shouldn't matter that much if people can fully load all four rack at one time.

What's next?  I don't know.  More beer to ponder my $500 investment choice...
Here's my ideas
1) 5 more thighs on the third or fourth rack down?  Could this really knock 2hrs off my cook time?  Or
2) just add 25-50deg to my PID temp.  Anyone think of a better test? 

My goal is to get to the 1-1.5 hrs per lb on small loads (<4lbs) and 2-2.5hrs per lb for big loads.

KyNola

Boz,
With all due respect to you, in the second experiment your thighs were done in 3 hours just like they were in the first experiment.  165 IT.  Mr. Walleye pointed it out to you after your first experiment.  If you prefer your foods well done it will take longer.  Not being critical of your preferences.  Just a difference in tastes but your Bradley is functioning normally in my humble opinion.

TheBoz

Thank you for pointing that out, I missed the first post on the 165deg for poultry.  I came up with the 180deg from my analog meat thermometer.  It has different temps for beef, pork, veal, and poultry is at 180.  
That's good news to me!!!

Thank You both!  So, I guess I was beaten by an old analog meat thermometer....

classicrockgriller