This was my 4th smoke and my 4th disappointment with my OBS.

Started by TheBoz, August 21, 2010, 07:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBoz

Hello again CRG, I understood that from our conversations, I just wanted to change one variable at a time to determine the root cause of my problem.  I won't be using the top shelf for light chicken loads in the future.

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Mat_M

Boz if I may try to help, I have the exact same setup as you...OBS with Auber PID. There's one very important data point from your tables, and that's how the door temp is upwards of 30 degrees off from the Auber's temp sensor. You said it yourself:
"The auber and the door probes were at the same level, but were 30deg apart, I'm sure if I used the door thermometer and added 30deg to the auber it would have cooked in half the time."

I've been smoking stuff now for a good year, and have many many thanks to people like CRG and others for all of the advice. What I have found is that people without the PID may rely on the door temp, which I'm now 100% positive is not accurate worth a hoot. However, in relying on that door temp, the heat that the meat is actually seeing is in fact higher than meets the eye. The only logical conclusion is, that is why the 'expected' smoke times may seem like they should be shorter.

As an example that directly matches yours, I like to do bacon wrapped chicken breasts, but I don't follow any specific formula. I actually don't use the auber (more on that in a minute), and I crank the heating element all the way to 11. The "door" temp never gets above 235-250. What's the actual heat inside? I don't really care. But the meat is up to a good 185-190 within 3.5-4 hours...and I'm talking 3-4 pounds of chicken. Now, for me, doing poultry is a specific case where I DON'T use my auber. I like long smokes, but to me, poultry is instant gratification.

Based on my learning with the Auber, it is SUPER accurate. If I were to do a couple pounds of chicken at 225 controlled by the auber, I know for a fact I'd be LUCKY to finish within 5 hours. So basically what I'm saying is that I don't think there's anything wrong with your setup.

Back to the auber. I abso-freakin-lutely love it for long overnight smokes. When I do brisket or pulled pork, I want to ensure that my temperature stays below boiling. I can go to bed knowing that IF I need to get up, it would be to fill the pan for the smoldered pucks. I usually smoke 205-210, and I'll let it run 18-24 hours (usually 4-6 hours of smoke) for a good 7-10 pound pork shoulder; and I'll let it run 10-16 hours for a 6-8 pound brisket. I would not have the luxury of knowing my temp was exactly where I wanted it unless I had the auber.

Ramble ramble...ok I'll finish up. Conclusion here? (1) I think your setup is working as it should, based on my same-exact setup. (2) Crank up the heat! If you brine your chicken or turkey, it will be amazingly moist, even if you smoke with the the dial at 11 (but these go to 11!). (3) The auber kicks some major butt, especially for long smokes, and the temp gauge is dead on.

EZ Smoker

I'm with Mat_M.  I have the OBS and Auber dual probe PID too.    It does take a good while to cook meat at 225.    The numbers you posted don't look bad to me.   When I cook chicken parts, I do it with the Auber set to 260 and the chicken on the bottom rack.   After I put the meat in, the OBS never gets back up to 260, but it keeps rising, and the process usually takes 2 hours or so for a full rack of wings, or longer if I'm doing a lot of chicken.   Of course, I finish my chicken on the grill to get the crispness in the skin.   

Oh, and here's a link for Mat's OBS that goes up to 11:
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/spinal_tap_amps.png
It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.

classicrockgriller

TheBoz

Thanks guys for validating my data.  It's good to hear my setup is correct and I just need to learn how to use it.  Sounds like a learning opportunity!  This weekend I'm trying my first long smoke.  I'm throwing in a butt for an over night smoke.  I'm looking forward to the Auber doing the work while I sleep. :-)  I still shake my head at chasing the 180 IT as recommended by my old thermometer...  Live and Learn (and smoke until you get it right!!!)

Quarlow

Hey Boz glad you are going to stick with the bradley and with us too. You will get it figured out and come to love the little guy. Like we said, any question just ask. There is a lot of passionate folks on here and we love what we are doing and only wish you success with this.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

TheBoz

I have a successful Pork Butt over the weekend!!!  4lb in 9hrs!  Everything worked great and tasted better.  I'll be posting some pics to my other thread.
Phil

KyNola

Way to go Boz! Sounds like you just topped the learning curve.  Excellent buddy.

squirtthecat

Very nice!  Once you get used to the nuances of the little Bradley, you'll love it...

TheBoz

Here are some pictures of my first successful smoke!!!  and my first Pork Butt.

Smoking!

Done!

Pulled!

classicrockgriller

KyNola

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS