Pastrami Smoked Salmon question

Started by dreys50, September 03, 2010, 07:03:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreys50

I found this recipe on Foodnetwork Canada and I think I'm going to give it a try. Fishing has been good this season and I'm looking for something new to try out.

The recipe is below, but my question is the smoking time- it says 6-8hrs at no hotter than 150- does anyone feel that I would be better off doing the 3 stage temps we all do for Kummocks smoked salmon?
Ive never had "boogers" with his method, didn't know if that would be a concern for this type of prep. 

Ingredients
6x6 ounce boneless salmon fillets, skin on or one salmon side, skin on
1 cup coarse salt such as kosher salt, do not use fine or iodized
1 cup black strap molasses
3 tablespoons paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
2 ounces coarse salt
1 ounce brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon ground bay leaf

Directions
1.Place the salmon flesh side up in a plastic, glass or stainless steel pan or tray. Cover evenly with the coarse kosher salt and let sit refrigerated for three hours.
2.Remove the fish from the salt and rinse well under cold running water. Pat dry and place back on the clean pan or tray.
3.Whisk together the remaining ingredients until well combined and brush two thirds of the marinade over the salmon flesh. Reserve the remaining marinade. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for at least one full day or as much as two full days in your refrigerator.
4.Remove from refrigerator and rinse well. Pat dry and let air dry uncovered and refrigerated for six to eight hours or until the surface is tacky.
5.Lightly brush with the remaining marinade and cold smoke at a temperature no hotter than 150 degrees for six to eight hours.
6.At this point the fish should rest overnight or for several days before service. This will give the intense flavours of the marinade and smoke a chance to mellow and blend.
7.To serve heat gently in a 300° oven for 15 to 20 minutes, just until heated through. The salmon is already 'cooked' so it does not need a high heat which will only dry it out. Serve immediately

Taken from: http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipes/Main/Fish/recipe.html?dishid=3676