Hello from Central Alberta

Started by wilocrek, August 22, 2010, 04:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wilocrek

Just as it says tio do introduce yourself  so hello everyone.  I do Not own a Bradley smoker as yet but have been smoking meat products for years with a lot of success. I have a rather large smokehouse, that I made for personal use and am now thinking of purchasing a Bradley Smoke generator to use with it.
It runs on propane for the heat and I believe that the smoke generator will cut down on temerature loss during smoking as I will not have to open the door to replenish wood.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the generator and could provide me with some tips,

TestRocket

I'm sure someone will come along soon to answer your question but I'm also sure I can speak for many of us and say "we would like to see PICS of your working smokehouse". Again welcome and help is on the way! Happy smoking!

Quarlow

Well you are on the right track now. The bradley smoke generator is a very usable burner which has been used for many homebuilt smokers and adapted to lots of differing applications. You may want to add a PID to go with it and then you will virtually not have to touch it till it is finished. A PID is a digital temperature controller that is programable for temp ramping and also has a very tight temp swing of between 1 and 3 degrees plus or minus.
As for a Bradley smoker you will not be sorry if you buy one. You will probably use it more than your smokehouse as it is smaller and won't take as much time smoking like the big house does. Plus it is so quick to set up you can come home after work and be smoking within 30 minutes.
Welcome to the forum and if you have any other questions just ask. There is always someone on here.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Mr Walleye

Hi Wilocrek and welcome to the forum from Saskatchewan.

Here's a couple of links to 2 different smokers I have built using the Bradley generator as the smoking source.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=7616.msg82164#msg82164

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=16075.0

I would love to see some pictures of your smoker.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum wilocrek!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

wilocrek

WOW  what a sweet smoker  makes mine look sick  Mine is outside all the time and had to insulate a lot to keep temperatures up during winter  I installed a small fan from a convection oven that works pretty well. My smoker is 4ft X 4 Ft   made from insulated aluminum 4x8 sheets used to make buildings in oilpatch  4"  vent on top and an old  water heater burner run on propane  works fairly well  but  had to build a shell around it from plywood   and use foam insulation between smoker  and  plywood  wall.   Creates a  fairly wide wall   guess is 6"  for sure  that's why I need to see what maximum wall thickness can be accommodated by the smoke generator.  I could be open to a new smoker if the price is right ??

classicrockgriller

wilo, the Bradley Smoke Generator is electric. It provides no heat except what it takes to burn the pucks (125 watts)

What you might be thinking about is the Bradley Propane Smoke.

It provides propane heat and is a smoke generator all in one.

nepas built a smoke house and used the BPS generator to run it.

It can be adapted to a smoke house but 6" might be too much of a reach for it to work.

The Electric smoke gen will handle a gap of about 4".

Mr Walleye

I think what Wilocrek is looking at doing is using a Bradley generator on his home built unit.

By the sounds of it the side walls are approximately 6 inches thick. This, unfortunately, would be a deal breaker if this is the case. The two smokers I built the wall thickness was 2 inches on one and 2.5 on the other. The Bradley Smoke Generator is really designed for 2 inch thickness and less. Although making it fit in the 2.5 thick wall wasn't very difficult, I think at 6 inches it would not be possible.

You could build a recessed area to lessen the thickness of the wall in a big enough area to house the generator. Just a thought.

Mike

wilocrek

Thanks for the advice Mike I was looking at it today and I believe that I can accommodate  just that type of scenario  The original walls were only 1 1/2 inches thick so I believe I can modify and area to mount the smoke generator, Anyway I took the leap and ordered it got some cyphering to when it gets here

Mr Walleye

Keep us posted on how things progress and if you have any issues or questions... ask away.

Mike